Thursday, June 17

What to make when your oven is on the fritz - No bake Lemon Slice!


'

Well if you follow me on twitter or facebook, you no doubt would have seen me whinging complaining expressing my dismay that my oven had  malfunctioned and needed repair.  It is most annoying when you have things to bake, and you are rostered on as the Mum to provide morning tea at playgroup.

The playgroup mums  - I should say - my friends - because we are a tight little group - have high expectations and there is always an air of excitement when someone mentions it's my turn to provide morning tea.  There's been many-a-reference to bribe the person who creates the roster to put me on morning tea roster every week.  Hmm..... I'll just feel complimented by that ;)

So here's a no-bake slice.  Super-dooper easy and always a crowd pleaser.  Good for the lunchbox too - no nuts!


No bake lemon slice
Makes 16 slices (or 32 smaller if you like!)

125gr butter
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
250g milk arrowroot biscuits (1 packet)
1 cup dessicated coconut
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 3/4 cup icing sugar
50g butter, softened, extra

Method:
In a saucepan, over low heat combine your condensed milk and 125gr butter and allow your butter to melt.  Set aside.

Crush your milk arrowroots by either whizzing in  your food  processor or beating the frustrations of your day out of them - but put them in a plastic bag first.  Mix the coconut and lemon zest into the crushed milk arrowroots together in a bowl, and then add the melted butter/condensed milk mixture.

Stir well, it will resemble wet sand.

In a slice tray (or tupperware slice n store as I have done) spray lightly with canola oil.
Add the biscuit mixture and press down well ensuring you press into the corners also.
Refrigerate for one hour.

Meanwhile, make icing by mixing your softened butter and icing sugar together, add your lemon juice whilst mixing until it reaches the same consistency as toothpaste. 

Spread over refrigerated biscuit mix and decorate with fork prongs if you like!  Cut and serve!
Make ahead - store in airtight container in fridge for up to 1 week.


Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Jim on June 17, 2010 at 10:44 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My neighbour used to always make various slices when I was a kid. Caramel, chocolate, lemon, orange.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Corrie on June 17, 2010 at 11:24 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ok i love lemon slice, and have bring a plate tmrw night so that is now sorted!

But I think we need a new arrangement ok? - you tell me all your recipes on a saturday and then I'll have the ingredients here ready for your mouth watering photos when they come up on your blog- haha! just kidding but seriously you are my new meal planner! yummo I love lemons

Corrie:)

Kylie G on June 17, 2010 at 8:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

this is one of my altime favourites to make, eat and serve. thanks for reminding me about it (but bugga - I could have made it for the upcoming savvy!!!)

Cathie on June 18, 2010 at 9:59 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

looks good Liss!!
I think I definitely need to try this.
Happy Friday to you ♥


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015