Friday, June 25

Lemon Delicious



If you haven't had this, really, you haven't lived.   This is so yummy, it is the winter comfort food ultimate.  

Easy to make - foolproof really, and absolutely moorish.  Great news is that it uses kitchen staples and so no special trips to the supermarket!

As you might know, last week I was without an oven.  Yesterday 'the part' finally arrived. That, or my repairman thought it was easier to fix it than to take out an AVO on me.  I'm a happy girl now my oven is working again... you just don't realise how much you use something until you don't have it do you?

So this recipe was made at my bestie's house last weekend.   She has a mix-master and let me tell you I nearly killed myself using it!  Changing the position of the bowl guide was my first mistake!  


Ingredients:
(the pictures here show double amount of recipe ingredients, to feed 10, this recipe serves 4-5)
60 g butter
3/4 cup castor sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk


Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c fan-forced
Whip egg whites until they become stiff peaks, set aside.

Cream butter and sugar together, and then add lemon zest and juice then egg yolks, and finally flour and milk

Fold through the egg whites

Pour into greased baking dish.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until brown on top, check with skewer, it should form a cake texture on top and the bottom 1cm or so should be syrup.

Serve with fresh cream or icecream, and a little sprinkling of icing sugar if you wish..

Print this post in friendly format

11 lovely comments:

Corrie on June 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

love lemon delicious! sooooo good! my favourite lemon recipe without a doubt! I use an old AWW recipe and its foolproof and the kitchen aid gets a good workout

Corrie;)

Bel on June 25, 2010 at 4:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've never ever made this, although I have about 6 recipes for it! Go figure. May have to try on the weekend now.

Cathie on June 26, 2010 at 10:05 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

no oven means no breathing for me!!
glad it's back. my mum has a mixmaster aswell...sometimes she forgets the bowl swap thingy aswell.
happy weekend Liss ♥

Liss on June 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

QB - Let me know how you go!??

Cathie - I didn't change it and thought instead I should take a beater out - the bowl nearly took off into the stratosphere! My hubby was laughing SO hard. Hmmphf.

Unknown on June 26, 2010 at 12:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thank you for the recipe.. this cake is delicious!! I made this dairy free using a soybased "butter" and it soo good :)

For those of you in the US.. here are the equivalents that I used:
60 grams butter = 5 1/2 tablespoons
180c fan forced oven = 350f convection oven

Thanks again,
Deborah

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! I've just been given a bag of lemons, so I'll give this a try. Thanks!

tracey on June 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I should never of stepped in here.... late night munchies are taking over now! It looks delicious :)

Lily Mulholland on July 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Was looking for a recipe for a dessert to take to a lunch tomorrow - I think I've just found it! Thank you!

Mrs Catch on April 17, 2011 at 9:03 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Seriously good. I'll make the double recipe. With my three big boys, there is no other way if I'm going to get some too.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on May 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

No NO NO I want apple crumble ...and I have no lemons damn !

I am planting 3 lemon trees at the farm so I'll never run out.

Lily Mulholland on January 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Have made this at least three times now. About to make it again for my parents, FIL and family, as we've all assembled in Tassie for a summer holiday and it's freezing, windy and raining! Perfect dessert to warm us all up :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015