Sunday, June 6

Sunday Baking Project: Mini Quiches - Lunch, canape, snack.. easy.


I make these any time of the year, and depending on my mood and occasion, they change quite a bit.

- If I'm needing a shortcut - I use frozen pastry (puff or shortcrust, whatever I have)
- What I have in the fridge - leftover ham, bacon in the freezer, leeks or onions, salmon or tuna
- Making in advance - I plan yummy fillings for an occasion - these can be made ahead, frozen and reheated from frozen.  Perfect for parties, and good for vegetarian options too.

Eloise loves these as a change from a sandwich, I will heat them up in the oven when I'm making breakfast and wrap them in aluminium foil for her to take to school.  Or in summer, have them cold.

This last time I made them, was for a lunch get-together with friends, I made a couple of large quiches and had made my own shortcrust pastry (see this zingy pastry) so decided I'd make some mini ones with the leftover pastry.  I made about 15.  You can make as many as you want!


Ingredients:
Pastry of choice
Eggs (3 for 1 dozen mini quiches)
Cream  (1/4 cup for 1 dozen mini quiches)
Grated tasty cheese  (1/3 cup for 1 dozen mini quiches)
(you may substitute for goat/gorgonzola/brie - whatever takes your fancy!)
salt, pepper
Fillings of choice (ham, bacon, tuna, salmon, pinenuts, spinach, anchovies.. the list goes ON)

Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c
Cut out our pastry with a cookie cutter/glass

Place into greased mini quiche pan (but use mini/regular cupcake pans if you don't have - I love these pans though - I have 4 of them that I've collected through the years, keep an eye out for them at the supermarket, they cost about $4-$6)

Put your fillings in the cases, and sprinkle with the cheese

Mix your eggs, cream, salt and pepper together in a jug

Pour over the casings, fill almost to the top

Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden on top.

Leave to cool in trays for about 10 minutes then remove.. store in airtight container in fridge or freezer - good to freeze for 3 months.

Maybe you'd like to make these for lunch today or even for lunches/snacks through the week?  Don't forget Season Savvy - share with me what you've made with cauliflower -see you tomorrow!
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on June 6, 2010 at 12:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This sounds like a nice Sunday brunch too! Or those dinner times when I'm craving something breakfasty for dinner :D

Corrie on June 8, 2010 at 7:46 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ohhhh yum my guys would love these!

Corrie:)

Bianca on February 1, 2011 at 8:28 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love simple recipe like this. But since I'm always trying to find ways to make things healthier, I would add a little bit of finely chopped spinach (Heinz is the best or just bamix your own spinach) to these. I add it to my kids meals all the time and the spinach taste is only very subtle when warm.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015