Tuesday, June 1

Road test 2 from Kaotic Kitchen: Gnocchi Topped Beef Bake.


I hope you're in the swing of things today - yesterday I had chronic monday-itis.  It wasn't helped by the fact that I forgot mufti day at school... only discovering once had walked the kids to school in the wind and the rain.. only to walk home again, be a good mummy and pick up mufti clothes and go back to school at recess... and then got caught in torrential rain and was soaked to the bone. to.the.bone.   Then surrendered to my feelings and put myself and the little frills in their PJ's and had a lazy day.... and then came time to make dinner....

And like some kind of prophecy, this was on my meal plan.  Thank goodness because I really couldn't be bothered!  This is super quick, easy and a crowd pleaser.    I made it in the afternoon and then reheated it for 30 minutes before serving.  Brilliant.

Kaotic Kitchen isn't just a name I've realised, it's actually designed for the time-poor chaotic lifestyle.  I've decided that my best friend needs a copy of this book.  I'm going to buy it today.  She's got 3 kids just like me, and runs a business from home AND she's building a house offsite whilst finishing renovations at her own house.  This book would be a godsend for her.

And, in that vein, I'm going to give an extra entry today in the giveaway to everyone who tells me who they would buy an extra copy for - your bestie, sister, mum, brother in law.. and why.  Remember, entries close tomorrow midnight!

Beef Gnocchi Bake

Ingredients
2 tsp oil
500g beef mince
1 onion, diced
2 tsp minced garlic (I used1 garlic clove finely diced)
1/2 tsp sugar
400g tin diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
200g tub ricotta cheese
500g  packet gnocchi (I used two to get more meal out of it, lunches for hubby)
1/4 cup grated tasty cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Method:
Heat oil in pan, add garlic and onions, stir until soft, then add your mince, brown well.

Add tomato and sugar, salt and pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes, pour into the bottom of a baking dish.  Put a saucepan of water on the boil for the gnocchi and preheat the oven to 190 degrees (180 fan forced)

Smooth ricotta cheese over the top, boil your gnocchi as per packet instructions, and drain well.

Pour gnocchi on top of the ricotta, and then sprinkle with cheese.
Bake in oven for 30 minutes.  

Serve with veges or salad.. or nothing if you like!
Print this post in friendly format

9 lovely comments:

Corinne (aka Rinny of Arabia) on June 1, 2010 at 8:24 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I would give my brother a copy. He has two kids, he and his wife run a business, train for various sporting things at night, have two hungry boys and generally have a frantic life. My brother often cooks but has a small repotoire.

This would be perfect for him.

Megs on June 1, 2010 at 9:01 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Bugger giving it away, I need it for me! I've got a 3yo, a 20month old and twins on the way, I need all the help I can get LOL

Lauren on June 1, 2010 at 10:24 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'd definitely give my little sister a copy. She's a single mum with a two-year-old that lives up the terrible twos tag. Budget recipes that don't take very long to prepare are just what she needs!

- Lauren (lauren@qblix.com)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on June 1, 2010 at 1:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ack, those dreaded mufti days! Even though I hated my uniform colours, it was easier than figuring out what to wear every day!

Katy on June 1, 2010 at 3:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh my, that looks good! I make a beef gnocchi dish that is very similar. I add grated carrot and zucchini (peas even!) so I don't feel guilty about not serving it with vegies!

Bugger about getting so wet - that's the worst at the moment with school pickups and drop offs to worry about!!

Red Dirt Mummy on June 1, 2010 at 7:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks so good - I have a feeling it might just show up on next week's meal plan at my place :)
I'd buy a copy for a special friend who fosters newborn babes starting out on the adoption process as well as running after her two pre-teens and helping her husband run a business. I admire her so much and I'm sure she could make good use of this.

Kylie G on June 2, 2010 at 7:13 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! Another one for the to-cook list, thanks :)

Lissy on June 3, 2010 at 3:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I think I missesd this one but looks like a great book for any mum! Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe...solved my problem of a meal tonight and all these things are in the fridge....perfect!

JenniferB on July 19, 2011 at 8:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is THE perfect book for my neighbour. Full-time job, 4 children, even busier husband and - as a disinterested vegetarian - needs all the help she can get (along with my slow cooker lessons!). If only for the sake of those kids...


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015