Monday, June 7

Fig, Date and Walnut cake - scrumdiddleumptious


Hello!

What a lovely weekend, we had a sorta-kinda break in the weather here - on Friday we received about 120mm of rain - but Saturday was spectacularly sunny, the backyard got a good dry out and we headed out to Manly Farmers Market - I was only looking to top up my fruit and vege stores, but some lovely figs caught my eye and that was the end of me sticking to my shopping list.. bad Liss, bad!

But good cake, no.  Scrumpdiddleumptious cake.  You know I'm not really a cake person, but I had two pieces of this on Saturday night.  Shhh.  Don't tell anyone.

Now you may want to divide these ingredients in two if you only want to make one, but I'd make two and freeze one.  Having a cake in the freezer is always a bonus for those days where you can't be bothered or if you know a friend or neighbour going through a rough time - the offer of homecooked food is always a nurturing, assuring one.


Ingredients:
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups white sugar
3 cups flour
3/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup fresh figs (about 5) peeled and mashed
1/2 cup dried dates (about 10) finely chopped
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup (100g) walnuts


Method:
Preheat oven to 190 degrees c (180 fan forced)

In a bowl, beat your eggs and sugar until smooth.

Then add your dry ingredients:  Flour, baking soda and cinnamon.  Mix well.

   Add canola oil combine well, and then add the figs and dates



Lastly, add your milk, take off the mixer and stir through your walnuts

And then pour into two greased loaf trays.

Place in the oven for 1 hour, check if done using the skewer method.

Allow to cool in trays, turn out after 30 minutes, slice and store in airtight container for up to 5 days (it won't last that long I promise you!) or in the freezer for 2 months for a rainy day or a good-will emergency.

Psst.  six recipes up so far on Season Savvy for this week  - Cauliflower - you won't believe what people make with it!  Pizza, pie, soup and more!

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on June 7, 2010 at 10:12 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks great-now I think we need some fig addiction therapy for you (and me too). I can't seem to pass up on buying good figs! :D

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh I wish we were neighbours. Yet another delicious thing for me to make. You are so clever and I LOVE that you show photos of each step.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015