Friday, June 4

Frugal Fast Food: Chicken drumsticks, potato and gravy




I have one two regrets about this recipe.  First of all I should have made corn on the cob.  Second of all... I should have made more chicken.  Really.should.have.made.more.chicken.  Hubby berated me afterwards. 'You should have made more chicken'.  I know.  Don't make the same mistake, make double what you think you need, you will eat it cold, promise.

Good news is, it takes about 40 minutes from beginning to end for the whole dinner. There's even a way you could prepare ahead for working/busy days.. read along...

So this is a healthy kinda-sorta-rip-off of KFC.  It's not as laden with cholesterol and grease, but I guarantee it's super tasty and it feels like a treat, and it's a little addictive - as I said, you'll wish you had more once it's made.

I'm guessing you know how to make mashed potato, so I'm going to share the recipe for the chicken and the gravy - yes the gravy.  Make extra of that too.

Ingredients: 
Chicken legs
1 kg chicken legs (I like the macro organic range ones)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 tbsp salt flakes
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1 large sprig rosemary, finely chopped
1/4 cup self raising flour
Canola spray

Gravy
1/4 cup plain flour
2 tbsp butter
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken stock


Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c
In a ziplock bag, combine the zest, oil, salt, cayenne pepper, garlic and oregano.


Place chicken in the ziplock bag, and shake/massage well until all the pieces are covered.  (If making ahead, freeze them in the bag) Then roll in the self raising flour and place on a greased baking tray, spray canola oil over the drumsticks.

Make your gravy whilst in the oven,  Bake for about 20-25 minutes, turning after 15 minutes.


Gravy:
In a saucepan, melt your butter over medium heat, add the flour and whisk well, it will instantly go lumpy. Add milk gradually  and then stock and continue to whisk until it resembles a thick sauce.  Tastes like the real thing!
Print this post in friendly format

14 lovely comments:

Super Sarah on June 4, 2010 at 4:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I will definitely be trying this recipe, looks delicious and super easy too. Will let you know how I go. Did I mention that the slow cooker osso bucco turned out gorgeous the other day despite my mishap with the tinned tomato? It was gorgeous, deep, rich and silky sauce with lovely melty bits of meat. My husband gushed which always makes me smile! Thanks!

Lauren on June 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

And here I was just going to do one of those chicken pieces in a bag things tonight! This definitely sounds like a tastier alternative :-)

Kirsty S said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh, that sounds so yummy! I'll have to add it to my list!

Megs on June 25, 2010 at 6:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just made this for dinner, I followed your advice and made extra and I still don't have leftovers!! Both my toddlers had 2 drumsticks each and hubby had 4. The gravy was tasty but mine was a bit aneamic compared to yours, not sure where I went wrong?

Delicious, easy meal!

Liss on June 25, 2010 at 6:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Haha Megs, I just got chicken legs out of the freezer minutes ago to make these tomorrow night!

What you could do for colour is add parisian essence - it's just a browning agent - you get it in the same place you find your vanilla - it's practically tasteless ;)

Kylie G on August 13, 2010 at 9:24 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm giving this a go tonight. It's like a Friday night treat without the deep fryer! I'd love to do a guest post on making these, if you're interested. Just say the word!

Katie said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMG! This is such an awesome and delicious recipe! I only had chicken thighs in the freezer so that's what we're having. GBG (gorgeous baby girl-20 months) ate hers all up with mash, corn, green beans and gravy. Hubby and I will be having ours a little later and our mouths are watering from having had a little taste of GBG's! I did the chicken in one batch but took out the piece for GBG before adding the garlic and cayenne...just to be careful. Mmmm, bring on dinnertime. Thanks Liss!

Fiona T on June 6, 2011 at 8:05 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

mmmm yum, and this is baked too, not fried. Has to be good, will put it on the menu planner for the weekend, can hardly wait :)

Fiona T on June 6, 2011 at 9:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Fiona Trapani
Couldn't wait until the weekend, made it tonight! The chicken was really tasty, wouldn't say it was like KFC 'cause it actually had wonderful aroma and flavour and hasn't required a quickease afterwards. Very yummy and will make again.

MrsKellB on August 5, 2011 at 5:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh wow, I am trying that one for sure!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh yum!!! Looks amazing - I love KFC, but not all the grease!

Juzmatt on August 19, 2011 at 9:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

well, I have decided i need a bit of a health kick so i am hoping this is something i can substitute for takeaway!

Mr B on August 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi just wondering if I did something wrong with the gravy. Made it to your recipe and it was white, from the milk, and not at all like your picture.....

Liss on August 20, 2011 at 11:54 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@NicHi Nic, it would depend on your chicken stock but what you can do is add a little parisian essence to give it a richer colour - it's practically tasteless and can be found in the supermarket closeby the vanilla extract :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015