Wednesday, June 23

Slowcooker Recipe: (not) Beef Stroganoff



I don't know what it is about slow cooking cookbooks - this one has given me two yummy recipes to share with you but neither of them are really what they say they are.  You might remember the other one - the (not) butter chicken?  Yes, well this it its counterpart - (not) Beef Stroganoff.  I've adapted this one slightly, as you would expect... ;)

It's easy and it's yummy and for slow cooking it's pretty quick.  Kids gobbled it up.  

Ingredients:
3 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
800g blade or chuck steak, diced
2 large onions, peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
2 tb flour
1/2 cup white wine
3/4 cup beef stock
2 tb tomato paste
1 cup sliced mushrooms (or add more if you like them, I used yummy swiss browns)
1/4 cup sour cream

Method:
Place some oil on the bottom of your slow cooker and place your potatoes on the bottom.

Layer your beef, garlic and onion on top.

Sprinkle the flour over the top.
In a jug mix wine, stock and tomato paste, mix well.  Pour over the meat and turn your slow cooker on low.

After 3 hours, mix through your mushrooms.
30 minutes later, stir through your sour cream.
Serve 30 minutes later on pasta or rice. 


Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on June 23, 2010 at 1:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This looks totally scrumptious! Now that I've got the slow cooker I have no excuses!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I think I need a slow cooker...

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This sounds lovely, but can I make a suggestion, extra pan I know but I coat my beef in seasoned flour, brown it off in the frying pan, add browned meat to slower cooker, then deglaze the frying pan with the wine, then add that to slow cooker and follow rest of recipe. Takes away floury taste and adds even more flavour. Hoping to make your version with my tweak on the weekend, thanks so much.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015