Sunday, June 13

Sunday Baking Project: Honey Jumbles



I've been a long-time fan of the honey jumble. It's one of those childhood memories that when I see the packet still to this day it makes me smile.  I first started making them about 12 years ago when I lived in Canberra and first met hubby.  He and his flatmate (our mutual friend through whom we met) would come over and the batch would be gone in no time!

Recently I bought a packet, and all the way to the shop we decided what colour we would have.  Olivia declared hers needed to be pink, pink, pink.  She's a girly girl so that was hardly unexpected.  Laura wanted to be different of course, so hers had to be white.   So on the proviso everyone behaved whilst running our various errands, we would open them at home and they could have their colour...

Everything went to plan that day, errands were run, I had two helpful, chirpy girls.  When we returned home I opened the packet, and wouldn't you know -not.one.pink.honey.jumble.  Not.even.one!  Olivia was heartbroken I was shocked to say the least... a very unlucky batch I would say!

Anyhow, so I set upon making them again - no issues with the ratio of pink to white... or whatever colour you like.

Ingredients:
60g butter
2/3 cup golden syrup
1 3/4 cups plain flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp dry allspice
1 tb milk 

Method:
Melt your butter with your golden syrup over medium heat

Mix dry ingredients - flour, ginger, allspice and bicarb soda


Stir melted butter and gold syrup into dry ingredients and the milk and combine well, then refrigerate for one hour.

After refrigeration, turned out onto a floured surface, lightly knead.  Preheat your oven to 190 degrees c

Roll your dough into sausage shapes about the diameter of a 10 cent piece, cut into 10cm lengths and place on a greased tray.

Bake for 10-15 minutes until slightly browned on top.  Cool on trays.


Make your icing by whipping 1 egg white and 1 tbspn water until you get soft peaks.

Into two bowls, add 1 cup of icing sugar into each bowl.  To one bowl add a few drops of rose food colouring, and then add egg white a tspn at a time until it makes a pasty consistency.

Dip your biscuits into the icing and allow to set for about 1 hour.

Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks - they won't last that long!

Print this post in friendly format

12 lovely comments:

Corrie on June 13, 2010 at 7:48 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh yum! love honey jumbles and how yummy to make them yourself! must try these with keira but she would only let me make pink ones

Corrie:)

Jaime on June 13, 2010 at 1:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

this recipe could not be more timely. I need more milk free recipes for Emma - thanks Liss!

PinkPatentMaryJanes on June 13, 2010 at 6:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh now stop it - now you've forced me into another baking project for tomorrow!

MaryJ said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMGosh, I was only thinking about making honey jumbles on Friday!!! I can eat an entire packet . Think this will be my next baking project. Thanks for the great recipe!!!

Jim on June 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I remember these as a kid too. :)
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Cathie on June 18, 2010 at 10:03 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

have never made these before but the other day i was flicking through a recipe book and wanted to make them for the weekend.
am a little obsessed with honey in everything at the moment, made a honey cake last night.

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hello I followed the link from m.e. to your blog. I'm in the US - is golden syrup equivalent to honey or is it corn syrup?

Angela on November 2, 2010 at 3:09 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sorry I forgot my information with my question. Cheers and thanks!

Liss on November 2, 2010 at 3:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Angela if you can't get hold of golden syrup (which I recommend) I would mix 2/3 with 1/3 measurements of honey to treacle.

morte on June 5, 2011 at 2:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Magic ... mine are cooling, awaiting icing. They smell so delicious.

VanDemons on June 13, 2011 at 4:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]
This comment has been removed by the author.
VanDemons on June 13, 2011 at 4:13 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks so much for a great recipe. They taste so much better than the store bought variety - and so much more fun to make.

Here is our blog post of us making biscuits & a big mess

http://vandemons.blogspot.com/2011/06/i-have-to-admit-that-i-am-really.html


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015