Monday, May 31

Slowcooker Recipe: Set and forget Hearty Ham Soup


Hello friends!

What a weekend!  I need a weekend to get over my weekend, what about you?  We've got a HUGE week this week at Frills in the Hills... let me summarise for you:

Tomorrow - I'm going to share another recipe from Kaotic Kitchen:  Mince and sausages - don't forget to enter! you can do so daily.. (plus... my biggest frill, Eloise turns six officially, wah!)
Wednesday - Sydney Film Festival Opens and a FUN recipe for all of you!
Thursday - there will be the announcement of a winner or THREE ;)
Friday - a big announcement of something NEW here that YOU can participate in weekly!


So on to today:
Well today I share a dish I touched upon in the very beginning of my blogging days, but now there are so many more of you and nobody goes deep into the cockles of my archive (or do they?) that I thought I would reprise this recipe for those slowcooker addicts out there... and I know who you are.....

The recipe was adapted from my Mum's stovetop recipe and I remember it fondly on a cold night, smelling it cooking all day.  Now you have some choices depending on how you like your soup.  If you like it really chunky and a bit on the stew-y side, cook it overnight or put it on extra early - you want to slow cook it for 12 hours.  If you like it more soup-y and a bit on the lighter side, 7-8 hours should do it.  I made it at breakfast, and didn't look at it until dinner time.  I love that about this soup.  It's also very cost efficient and will easily do two meals for your family as it does ours.


Ingredients:
1 ham hock - you can pick these up at your butcher or even the supermarket.
500g dehydrated premium soup mix (The one I get is from a deli but basically it's split yellow and green peas, barley and kidney beans)
2 bay leaves
2-3 large carrots, diced
2-3 large stalks celery, diced
1 large parsnip, diced


Method:
Place all ingredients in your slowcooker

Fill your slowcooker to the top with water

Set and forget - THAT.IS.IT.  The ham hock makes a gorgeous flavourful stock with the bayleaves.  The soup mix goes lovely and soft as does the veges and takes on the stock flavour.  Serve with toast, or as I did the perfect soup bread.

Enjoy my friends, enjoy.
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Chantelle {fat mum slim} on May 31, 2010 at 6:16 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ummm hello! My favourite soup.

Thanks so so much. Will be making this for sure.

Can't wait to see what you're cooking up on Friday. x

Kelly on August 6, 2011 at 3:30 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for this Liss x

Unknown on March 2, 2014 at 6:16 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Making this tomorrow! Will let you know how it goes. My first soup attempt since the disaster... -Andrea


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015