Tuesday, January 19

Sweet Tooth Tuesday: Homemade Honeycomb



I am so nice.  I really am.  I'm going to save you much time and anguish as I have experienced the past week perfecting this honeycomb. 

I tried Nigella's recipe - too sticky
I tried another recipe I had - tasted like bicarb
I tried yet another - too grainy
I modified the 2nd and 3rd recipes, and perfection!

The ingredients are easy peasy!
4 tb golden syrup
1 cup caster sugar
2 tsp bicarb soda

Now the method:

BEFORE YOU EVEN START!
Fill you sink with hot soapy water
Fill a small bowl with about an inch of cold water and place by the stove with a METAL spoon
Pre-measure your bicarb and have have a METAL whisk on standby
Line small tin or baking dish with greaseproof paper.


Ok, now if you have all that stuff organised you're ready to start!

Place golden syrup and sugar in saucepan.  Don't walk away.  Stir constantly until all sugar is dissolved, bubbles and the mixture changes colour to a honey-ish colour - about 4 minutes or so.  You can test if it is ready by dropping a little bit in the bowl of water.  if it goes to toffee, it's ready.


Take off heat, throw in bicarb quickly and whisk like crazy for about 10 seconds, pour into your tin/dish quickly. And then put your pot in the soapy water.



Don't touch the mix for about 10 minutes, leave to sit out on the bench, unless it's very humid and then transfer to the fridge after 2-3 minutes.



When rock solid, peel the baking paper off and either cut or break apart as you please!  Drizzle or dip with/in chocolate or crumble over icecream.. or just eat on it's own!

Now, all bow in gratitude!  Just kidding, have fun and enjoy! xx

Print this post in friendly format

14 lovely comments:

Chantelle {fat mum slim} on January 19, 2010 at 6:57 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh wow. How easy is that?

Bowing in gratitude here. xx

Leila on January 19, 2010 at 11:48 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow that is super easy! I love honeycomb. Trying this!

Cathie on January 19, 2010 at 1:54 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

easy peasy, thanks Liss!
it's tablespoons isn't it Liss?

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on January 19, 2010 at 3:54 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Holy crap, you make your own honeycomb too? Superwoman has nothing on you!

Katy on January 19, 2010 at 3:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum!! hubby loves honeycomb!

Liss on January 19, 2010 at 5:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Excellent pick up my dear Cathie - it's 2 TEASPOONS of bicarb. I have amended the post :) I hope I haven't led people to bicarb-y honeycomb! :o

Yes it is easy, and a bit addictive. Watch out!

Shell on January 20, 2010 at 1:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh my - I feel a craving coming on!

Mel said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow Liss, this looks fantastic! Thanks again for sharing, the kids are going to love me when I do this.

Juz said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

So easy to make! Thanks for all your tips Liss. I had always shyed away from honeycomb as I don't have a sugar thermometer but testing a drop of toffee in cold water worked perfectly.
I was expecting to make honeycomb that was obviously a 'first attempt' but it turned out brilliantly following your advice. Thank you!

Shell said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

OMG I just had the biggest disaster making this!
All was going perfect, I was set up, toffee looking perfect - then it comes to bi-carb stage... I pick it up, start to tip it in, and send the entire dish holding the bi-carb into the hot toffee!!! AGH!
Somehow I managed to get a corner not in the toffee and pull it out - but half my bicarb was still in the toffee covered dish, and another good portion sprayed over the stove!!
I whisked like crazy and saved half of it... I think it might be enough for hubby and I to have a NY dessert over icecream.
Anyway - thought you might get a giggle out of my disaster :lol:
p.s. my silly google account won't log in - but it's Shell xo

Liss on January 1, 2011 at 9:26 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Shell Holy dooly Shell! I can just imagine the panic!!! Do you think you'll make it again?

Happy New Year xxx

Shell said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh definitely on the list to make again - I need to try it without putting the crockery in the pot! hehe
What I did salvage was yummy - it's quite dense though, am guessing that's because not all the bicarb made it in.

Wanda on October 22, 2012 at 6:44 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

What is golden syrup?

Baby De Roach on June 12, 2013 at 9:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mine seems a bit chewy. Is that normal for homemade honeycomb or did I do something wrong? how do you get that crunchy vibe that shop honeycomb has going on? Obviously it is still super delish though so no complaints.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015