Wednesday, January 20

RECIPE: Sweet Onion Turkish Bread


 
Oh wow.  I am just in love with baking bread at the moment, and this one is a keeper.  We have turkish bread warmed with our soups and now I know how to make it, no more buying it for me!  Simple, simple SIMPLE.  Delicious, delectible, MOORISH.  In fact Hubby had this with dinner, and then requested more to be made as soon as possible.  I knocked it up that evening!

I really can't see how you could stuff it up, it's an easy recipe with brilliant results.

Ingredients:
25g yeast (yes, I really wrote 25g!) that's 2.5 tsp ;)
300ml tepid water
50ml olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon salt flakes
500g plain flour
2 red onions, finely sliced

Method:
Into the tepid water, add yeast, olive oil, honey and salt flakes, stir until yeast has dissolved.


If kneading my hand, using a large bowl, add flour and make a well in the centre, stir in wet ingredients until all combined, then pour out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5-7 minutes, until elastic-like - it will be a little sticky so try and avoid using too much flour

If using a mixer (I used kitchenaid dough hook) add flour, turn mixer on low and then add the wet ingredients, allow to knead for 3-4 minutes.

Put into a greased bowl and cover lightly with clingfilm.

Leave for about 40-50 minutes in a warm place or until doubled in size.

Whilst it's rising, finely chop onions, and then knead them into the risen  - I found it easier to do this with half the dough and half the onions at a time.

Preheat oven to 220 degrees c

Shape into the size you'd like - you'd want it to be about 1cm thick.
Working with one half of the dough, I made two traditional looking loaves, but there's nothing stopping you from making a large slab.

Sprinkle with salt flakes and swoosh some olive oil ontop.

Use child labour to push fingertips on top - fun!

Bake in oven for about 10 minutes until golden brown.

Cut and serve!  Yummy! Promise!

Print this post in friendly format

15 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on January 20, 2010 at 7:17 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mmm I adore Turkish bread too and baked some bread yesterday and will do another batch today. Is the cause of this bread baking this cold snap? :P

Katy on January 20, 2010 at 9:04 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! Will certainly give this one a go, especially when we're back to soup weather!!

greenfumb on January 20, 2010 at 9:07 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks brilliant but my kids hate onions (even though it's in everything I make) it wouldn't matter if I just left them out would it?

And BTW, do you know if it is better to keep the preserves in the dark, they look so nice on display but might not last as long.

Liss on January 20, 2010 at 9:17 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Deb, I've done it with potato garlic and goat's cheese too - turned out yum - would be nice plain too.

With the preserves, I think sunlight does affect preserves I think the key is to keep it at an even-as-possible temperature? I can look through my books and email you if you like?

greenfumb on January 20, 2010 at 11:13 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks Liss, I'm sure I can find the answer here somewhere, you have enough to do. x

Elizabeth said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

On the preserves thing, keep them out of the sunlight in a cool, dark place. Sunlight is bad for them and will cause them to deteriorate.

I might just have to try this bread. Looks yummy.

greenfumb on January 21, 2010 at 7:50 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks Elizabeth, i knew that in my heart of hearts, they just looked so nice on top of the dresser. Will put them away later.

Mel said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for the recipe Liss. Finally I can say that I have made my own bread and it turned out beautifully.

Liss on February 1, 2010 at 7:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yay Mel! Glad to hear, easy isn't it?

Fiona T on June 17, 2011 at 12:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Liss, I am a bit confused at the amount of yeast. I use the 7gm prepack yeast, which says it is equivalent to 15gm compressed (live?) yeast... Perhaps I'll try it with two packs and see how it goes... advice, if you have some, appreciated on this confusing question :)

Liss on June 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Fiona Trapani Fiona I use dried yeast like you get in the sachet - so try 3 rather than 2. 2 should work but it will take longer to rise :)

Fiona T on June 17, 2011 at 12:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Liss Thanks for that Liss, will do mmmm can't wait :)

Fiona T on June 17, 2011 at 4:39 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Fiona TrapaniDough is now rising, would you believe I ran out of plain flour, made up the difference with wholemeal flour...then only had 2 packs left of yeast, so will let it rise a bit longer. Have some Dukkah to put on the top...will let you know how my 'slap dash' approach works out.

Fiona T on June 17, 2011 at 7:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Fiona TrapaniWas declared a winner! So easy and so yummy. Will buy more flour and a big tin of yeast and put it on the menu planner. Thanks for another great recipe Liss!

Rachel on March 5, 2012 at 4:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Is this really as easy as it looks? Even for a beginner? It looks delicious! I'm excited to try it.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015