Monday, January 4

Bill Graingers' Coconut Bread Loaf



I found myself again, flipping through Sydney food recently and made a note to try this.  I've never had it at Bills although I've seen it on the menu, and it's a nice change from other 'special' breakfasts which I try to do once a week for a bit of variety.

Some great points:
- No mixer required
- No fancy ingredients - all staple cupboard stuff
- Smells amazing when it's cooking

But a word of warning, don't bake this the morning you're going to eat it.  Bake it the night before (luckily I did) because honestly, it smells so good when it's baking that if you're waiting an hour for it to bake and smelling those smells you might be in tears by the time it comes out!

I've put mine in the freezer sliced in tupperware with freezer plastic between each slice - just ready to chuck in the toaster.  I recommend Bills' suggestion of a glob of butter to serve and/or dusting of icing sugar.  Great one to take to work to and pop in the toaster - I used to make my breakkie at work all the time.

Ingredients:
2 eggs
300ml milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 cup caster sugar
150grams desiccated or shredded coconut
75 grams butter, melted.


Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c (170 if fan-forced)

Lightly whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla essence in one bowl.



In another bowl, sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon and combine.  Add coconut and sugar.


Make a well into the dry ingredients, and pur in the egg/milk mix, stir gently until all combined, but don't overdo it.



Pour in melted butter and stir again until combined well, but again, don't overstir.


Pour into greased and floured loaf tin and bake on middle shelf for 1 hour.

Leave to cool slightly, then slice/toast to serve.
Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Katy on January 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am so going to try this!!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on January 4, 2010 at 9:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I tend to like this mainly slathered with lots of butter. Plus I love adding raspberries to it. Thanks for reminding me of this recipe!

Nisha on January 5, 2010 at 1:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Im adding this to my baking list this week, along with the umpteenth batch of clilli parmesan biscuits!

Mrs Mac on January 7, 2010 at 1:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Liss

Just came across this and Fred would just LOVE this - will give this a try (I've recently re-discover your blog and loving the recipes you've posted so far - keep 'em coming) :)

Kylie G on June 27, 2010 at 1:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Liss, I just popped this in the oven. SO EASY! If the mixture is anything to go by it will be delicous. I even saved back some in the bowl so that I could lick it! (Damn spatulas and their efficiency).

Kylie G on June 27, 2010 at 2:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

And.... YUM! We had it for a naughty Sunday lunch, slathered in butter, topped with chopped banana and icing sugar. Thanks x


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015