Saturday, January 30

Preserve Me: Versatile Plum Jam


Plum jam is so versatile isn't it?  I'm a recent convert to plum jam - I've always used it on ribs and asian marinades but now having made this, it's a favourite on toast!  In fact, I caught hubby with a spoonful in his mouth!

I'll be on the lookout at next Farmgate Trail for another box - I used 2kg (without stones) and it netted me 2.5 litres of jam.  But given I do marinade and now use it for toast, I think I might want to make some more right?  Plums are in season at the moment so are a good price, I picked up a box for $4. All up I would say it cost me about $2.50 a litre. 

Ingredients
2kg of Plums, weighed after stones removed. (I used a combination of light and dark fleshed plums)
350ml water
1.7 kg white sugar

Method:
Place water and plums into large stockpot and bring to a simmer for 25 minutes


Add sugar, and stir until dissolved, turn it up to boil for about 25- 30 minutes, check if it has set by dolloping a little bit on a cold plate (I put a saucer in the freezer) and if it sticks like jelly and doesn't move, it's set!.
Remove from heat and skim off any 'scum' (i.e. white stuff on top (as above)


Pour into your sterilised jars (don't you love my jar funnel - I love it and it was only $8.95!) and process in boiling water (I did mine for 35 minutes - see this post for more info on processing)
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on January 30, 2010 at 12:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks great! And that jam funel is surely a sign of an avid jam maker-love it!

Nicole and Andrew on February 5, 2010 at 1:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

mmmm plum jam, the cockatoos pretty much took all our plums this year
where did you get your jars & the funnel

Liss on February 5, 2010 at 5:52 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Nicole! I love the funnel! I got mine from Alfresco Emporium, but you can find the funnel and the jars here:

http://www.glasswaredirect.com.au/Bormioli-Rocco-Quattro-Stagioni-Funnel?sc=86&category=90661


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015