Thursday, January 21

Just to prove, I am indeed, Human....



I've had three shocking culinary efforts I can report.  Truly shocking.  All three have involved my husband.  No, he's not to blame, but the man must think I have it in for him sometimes, honestly.

Here they are, I confess:

1.  Back in 1999 - back when we were both 'mates' and  living in Canberra, I had my one of my closest friends come up from Sydney and we planned to have a big night in Canberra town.  Hubby (not hubby at the time in fact we hadn't even dated at this point) and his flatmate (who I actually met hubby through) and my friend and I had a big night.  We came back to my house when the sun was rising, after leaving the only joint open in Canberra at that time of the morning.  We were in a messy state to say the least.

I really should have slept the day away but I couldn't.  Another friend (quite straight) was coming up that day and staying for dinner.  Yes, dinner, I was having a dinner party.  First I forgot to defrost the chicken and I didn't have a microwave.  So we ran it under luke-warm water until we thought it had.  Wrong.  Served up a baked chicken dinner that basically was raw in the middle.  Ick.  It literally took me 6 years to eat chicken again after that.  Hubby still ribs me about it every time we have roast chicken.

2.  January 2006.  Set the scene:  1 x nineteen month old, and 2 x 1 month old babies and had been living on one hours' sleep a day for the first month.  I try and make a birthday cake for my hubbys' birthday.  I made the cake (from scratch) and when I've made the batter babies wake up and I need to feed them both.  So I do that, and then put the cake in the oven.  What I didn't realise is that when you add baking powder you need to put your mix in the oven ASAP as it actually loses it's rising properties and becomes acidic.  Would explain why it a) it didn't rise and b) It tasted like bread. 



It was REALLY bad.  But it gets worse.  I make icing, except instead of purple it is kind of GREY.  Now doesn't a cake that taste like bread with grey icing sound really appetising?  Yes, you guessed right - it was awful.  Yes, I do still get a hard time about it - so I usually bring it up so at least I can have the last laugh.

3.  Yesterday, yes, just yesterday.  I didn't even have the excuse that I had one hours' sleep (I had a whole SIX! And no partying for me last night (shame!).  But yesterday, again for my hubby's birthday I had another EPIC culinary fail.  I decided to try a new recipe.  An online one - one that claimed it was the best moist chocolate cake.  Well it's not.

It had a high sugar content which is bad in itself but hubby loves chocolate so I set to work in making sure the pan was really well greased, the recipe didn't call for paper.  Well it certainly needed paper - I actually cooked it 15 minutes longer than the recipe called for because it wasn't firm in the middle... and still... when I turned it out..  THIS:


So at least this time I had a save.  I pressed the moist mixture into ramekins, and layered with chocolate buttons, and then I warmed in a low oven whilst we ate dinner.  I topped with chocolate cream and it turned out OK. 





I think my hubby is either going to make his own cake or buy one next year!  I might do it myself!
Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

reality raver on January 21, 2010 at 1:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Classic - love the grey icing. the chocolate one does not look too bad, I definitely would have eaten it.

Penelope on January 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Aah Liss...Magnolia all the way next year!

greenfumb on January 21, 2010 at 6:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mmmm grey icing - sounds lovely.

But it makes me feel better about the fact that I burnt the jam this afternoon. I should have realised that you can't make jam and watch tennis in another room at the same time. I think I will hide it and eat it all myself as penance - what a waste of all that beautiful fruit.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on January 21, 2010 at 6:06 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ahh you poor thing! I once made a custard using salt instead of sugar. I changed the salt and sugar containers after that episode! :P


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015