Thursday, January 21

Preserve Me: Homemade Spicy Tomato Ketchup



As I said on Sunday, our garden is bursting with tomatoes. Bursting.  So I thought with Australia Day coming up and all (we have an annual BBQ) I'd put some of those tomatoes to good use!

Now this recipe only netted me about 700ml.  When I make this again, I will double it.  Some people like to make small quantities, but me?  Not really.  No doubt I will make another (double) batch before the summer is out.

It tastes good enough to eat off a spoon!

Ingredients
2kg tomatoes
500gr diced/sliced brown onions
75gr grated ginger
6 peeled garlic cloves
3-4 de-seeded red chillies (optional)
6 celery stalks
500ml cider vinegar
150gr brown sugar
2 tb sweet paprika


Spice bag containing
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp peppercorns


Method
Cut stalk of tomatoes, and blitz in the food processor for a couple of seconds, transfer to large stockpot.
Chop up onions, transfer to stockpot
Prepare your spice bag by using a piece of muslin or cheesecloth 10x10cm and tying with kitchen twine
Tie your celery together with string (I actually folded the stems in half and then tied it all together)


Add paprika, ginger, garlic, cider vinegar and chillies



Bring to a boil and then down to a simmer for about 25 minutes, the onions should be translucent.

Remove spice bag and celery and in batches, place in foodprocessor and puree until smooth, set aside whilst continue to next batch

When all done, clean your stockpot and then through a sieve.



Make sure you extract as much liquid as possible, when done, discard pulp.


Leave to simmer for about 1 hour, 15 minutes, until it reduces by half or resembles the thickness of ketchup/tomato sauce.

Pour into sterlised preserving jars, will keep for 1 year.

Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

greenfumb on January 21, 2010 at 7:42 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh you lucky thing, my tomatoes are so pathetic it makes me want to cry. have you seen Jamie's recipe for BBQ sauce, I am going to try that this afternoon.

I went out to Enniskillen at Kurrajong yesterday and got some raspberries, blackberries and apples but the kids have eaten half the raspberries already. Might make a blackberry and apple crumble instead of jam. I bought some of their homemade jam anyway just in case.

Katy on January 21, 2010 at 11:01 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh yum!! We go through that much sauce in a fortnight, I reckon!!

Shame tomatoes are still so expensive!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on January 25, 2010 at 12:10 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I can't wait to pickle the tomatoes you gave me today. Thankyou! :D


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015