Wednesday, January 6

Poppyseed milk loaf



I did warn you - for me it's all about bread at the moment so don't be surprised if you see a few more bread recipes in the coming weeks.  This one is a modified version of one at www.thekneadforbread.com which is a brilliant resource.

It turned out amazing - and my exact words to hubby when I took it out of the oven yesterday evening was 'Oh my god, it looks like BREAD'.  He looked puzzled because that's indeed what I had made but it just looked so good.  And can I tell you it tastes like it too?  The best sort also - crusty on the outside, fluffy on the inside.  It echoes when you tap the top.  Beyond thrilled.

Funnily enough, I don't buy white bread, but I've made it.  I always buy seeded loaves, so that's next on the agenda I think (but there are many others I want to try too!).

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!


Ingredients
2 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup shortening (I actually had some from christmas pork roast but you can buy SupaFry from the supermarket)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
3 cups bakers flour (I just used tipo 00 flour)
3.5 cups plain flour
poppyseeds


Method:
Heat milk in saucepan until it's hot, but not boiling - take off the stove and add the shortening and sugar, stir and set aside until shortening has melted and the mixture is warm/tepid.


Add yeast, salt and beaten egg, then slowly add and mix in the bakers flour until smooth.  Set aside for 10 minutes.



Put plain flour in your stand mixer or in a large bowl.  gradually add the bowl of wet ingredients until it makes all combined and then knead for 5 minutes in your mixer on lowest setting or 10 minutes by hand.  The mixture should be elastic in texture.





grease with kitchen spray 2 bowls and divide the mixture into each. spray top of mixture lightly with kitchen spray, then cover with cling film.  Leave to prove until doubled in size (anywhere from 1 - 3 hours)





When doubled in size, preheat oven to 200 degrees c
Take out, and roll into shape of your bread tins and then roll in poppyseeds. score diagnoally ontop to account for rising to prevent splitting.





Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes.


Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Gabrielle on January 6, 2010 at 8:52 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

They look great Liss! Bread is something I've yet to master... Yeast is so scary!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on January 6, 2010 at 2:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooh me likey! I'm the same, I'll happily make white bread but stop short at buyihg it :P

Christie on January 6, 2010 at 5:35 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Drool :P


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015