Friday, January 29

Off to school muesli bars - nut-free!




When I'm stressed - I cook
When I'm happy - I cook
When I'm emotional - I cook

So of course my first baby going off to school today meant what? Yes, I cooked - muesli bars for school lunches.  I resent paying 50c a muesli bar (or more) for what I have no idea what is in them.  These ones were inspired by Julie Goodwin, she had a recipe in this months' Australian Womens' Weekly - however a few ingredients I didn't have and some others I decided to substitute for taste (where indicated)  - The AWW is a worthy buy this month for back-to-school recipes - I'm sure I'll try a few more from a seasoned school mum like Julie!

Ingredients
2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups rice bubbles (puffed rice)
1/2 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
1/2 cup currants (Julie uses 1 cup of sultanas instead of craisins/currants)
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (Julie uses linseeds)
150g butter, diced (the 200g Julie suggested is too much, it didn't set properly and I had to re-bake it so I'd just use 150g in future)
2/3 cup honey (as per the butter, I'd reduce this from the 3/4 cup Julie suggests)
1/3 cup caster sugar

Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c. If using fan-forced, 160 degrees c.
Grease a lamington pan or one of similar sizing and line with greaseproof/baking paper.  grease the paper once in place.
Mix the oats, rice bubbles, craisins, currants, coconut, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds in a large bowl.


Heat the butter, sugar and honey in a saucepan, melt the butter and stir to combine all ingredients, simmer until mixture becomes more syrupy and honeycomb-ish colour.  Take off the heat.





Stir through gradually into the dry ingredients and when well combined,  pour into pan/tin.  Press down well..... put into the oven for 20 minutes, the mix will be golden brown on top when you take it out of the oven.  Cool in the tray.





It is delicious, and I will make it again, with the changes to the quantities of butter and honey.


Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Rose on January 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooh yum they look great, Thanks too for the recommendation on the WW, I have been trying to fins some good back to school recipes.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on January 29, 2010 at 11:49 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Aww Liss how was Eloise's first day? xxx

Cathie on January 29, 2010 at 12:00 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

hope your baby had a good day Liss!
definitely would have enjoyed her lovely muesli bars!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015