Friday, October 23

Fast Food at home on a Friday: Dumplings





I saw Karen Martini make dumplings on Better Homes and Garden about 2 years ago, and I thought 'I could do that'.  At the time our girls were much smaller and the opportunity to go to YumCha just wasn't there.

The original recipe, I have changed somewhat over the six or more times I have made them... I've made them for us as a weekend lunch treat, but they are most popular either on a Friday night with some homemade fried rice (recipe coming for that, promise!) or as a canape with a few cocktails with the girls.


Ingredients:
10 shitake mushrooms, dried (or fresh if you can get them!)
10 large banana prawns or similar, shelled, de-veined and finely diced
200 grams pork mince
2 tb finely diced water chestnuts
2 spring onions, finely diced

1 tb fresh grated ginger
2 tb light soy sauce
1 packet packet gow gee pastry (from Asian area of supermarket or Asian supermarket)




Method:
Rehydrate mushrooms (takes about 20 minutes) drain. chop finely



Put in a medium sized bowl, and add remaining ingredients (except the gow gee) combine well and set aside.




Fill a cup with water, put 1 gow gee wrapper on the bench.  Spoon one teaspoon mixture in the middle.
Wet your finger, and wet the circumference of the pastry and then fold it in half upon itself.  The water helps it stick together.


Then crimp the top by folding it upon itself and put it down so it stands upright.  Repeat until you finish all pastries/mix (I do it like a bit of a production line)







In a frypan with a lid, heat 2 tb sesame oil....when hot, turn down to medium heat and add all your gow gees bottom down and let sizzle for about 2 minutes until a little brown on the bottom.


Then add, 1 cup of water, it may spit, so stand back!  Then immediately put the lid on the frypan and allow to steam for about 6 minutes.
 
Serve with dipping sauce.



My dipping sauce has:
4 tb light soy
2 tb grated ginger
1/2 tsp fresh chilli flakes or one fresh red chilli, finely diced
1 tsp caster sugar


Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes on October 23, 2009 at 2:15 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've just finished two huge sushi rolls and yet you've set my tastebuds tingling and my tummy rumbling. I've been DYING to make this - thanks for the recipe x

Katy on October 23, 2009 at 3:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum!

Kylie G on October 24, 2009 at 7:41 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yet another food stuff that i never even considered making myself (too hard!) - but you make it look achievable!

Jane Wightman on June 5, 2011 at 2:39 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Your Frills will be there in years to come to help you Liss! I am so looking forward to tomorrow - Jess, (daughter 26) is on hols for the week & asked to come for the day so we can make up several dozen spring rolls... I love days like that, sigh, now that she is living away from home 8-(
Nice thing is she knows the difference between shop-bought stuff (was going to use a less kind term) and home made & am pleased to say I taught her well & she will only do 'home made'!

Kirrily on June 5, 2011 at 2:41 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oohh I'm so hungry - why don't I have the ingredients for this!!

leigh on June 5, 2011 at 4:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Dumplings are my most fav things, but always thought they were too hard to make myself. This looks doable...I think?!

Thanks for the recipe :-)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015