Tuesday, October 6

Top Five Tuesday: Cookbooks



Oh, how do I choose?  These are are a ever-changing-list and a long-time obsession.  I love my cookbooks, and I've been collecting them for about 20 years now.  I would guess I have about 60 or more cookbooks (eek) and I want many, many more!  My first one was the The Australian Heritage Cookbook, and at times I still cook from it, it's got some beautiful pictures of the Australian landscape.

OK, now for my favourites:

1.  Nigella Lawson - How to Eat - this is my bible.  I love it.  It seldom is not in my top 2.
2.  Stephanie Alexander - A Cooks' companion - The bible MKII again, this and How to Eat interchange for No 1 and No 2.
3. Jamie Oliver - Jamies' dinners - it's just practical, it's good for the type of cooking I do these days.
4. Tessa Kiros - Apples for Jam - if I were to write a cookbook, this is what I would want it to be like
5.  Womens' weekly great cooking classics - We actually got this as a Wedding present, but I really like it, it has some great little short-cuts in there.

OK, so what's your favourite?  Any you'd recommend to me?
Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes on October 6, 2009 at 10:22 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow, tough one. Here's mine
The Food of France (Murdoch Books) - the never-fail french cookbook, every recipe is perfection
Nigella's Feast and How to be a Domestic Goddess
Apples for Jam (my gal made the honey cake last week Oh. My. Word!)
and Marie Claire Kitchen - for all the essentials

Fiona said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

How can you not have The Cooks Companion by Stephanie Alexander??!! EVERY kitchen in australia should haev a copy - brillant book :)

Amanda {My Life Badly Written} on October 6, 2009 at 10:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am a HUGE Jamie Oliver fan (Named one of my son's after him - Oliver) and I actually love Jamies' dinners but have cooked heaps out of his very first cook book - the Naked Chef. He has new book Jamie's America which is on my wish list at the moment.

I also love Nigellas How to Be a Domestic Goddess too and sadly The Womens Weekly Weekday Dinners has had many an outing in my kitchen!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on October 7, 2009 at 6:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I always like to read everyone's cookbook top 5! Mine are quite different but love Nigella's HTBADG and Apples for Jam is gorgeous :)

And errm I steer clear of anything from Womens Weekly :P

Cathie on October 8, 2009 at 12:06 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Tessa Kiros, exactly my thoughts aswell.
My other absolute favourite is Donna Hay, Modern Classics.

Shell on October 9, 2009 at 11:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Evil woman for making me decide!!

My favourite Jamie is "Happy Days with the Naked Chef", followed closely by "Jamie at Home" (where my World's BEST Caesar was adapted from).

Love Nigella's Feast.

Margaret Fulton's Encyclopaedia of Food and Cookery is fantastic for almost anything.

I can't decide on a 5th - must mean I need more cook books.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015