Tuesday, October 13

TopFiveTuesday: Sandwiches



If you've already had your lunch, sorry.  I might make you feel hungry again.  If not, I might inspire you to make tomorrows' lunch a bit early.  Sandwiches are such a lunchtime institution here in Australia and I'm not talking about what we call a burger (still think that's weird in the UK they call burgers in restaurant sandwiches!?) I'm talking about bread, and fillings.

When I worked my first job I worked next to SBS Television.  (For those not in the know it broadcasts most of the foreign non-english speaking shows) As a result, the local sandwich shop used to stock a whole lot of things and make sandwiches to order in the strangest combinations you could ever imagine.  Beetroot, salmon and mustard for example.  I've never forgotten it!

So here's my top five favourite sandwiches:

1.  Cold corned beef and tomato sauce (ketchup)
2.  Chicken Schnitzel on grain, with cream cheese and lettuce
3.  Toasted tasty cheese and tomato (I must have eaten 5 gadzillion of these when pregnant!!)
4.  Salmon, cream cheese and dill on fresh white bread
5.  Taramasalata, just on white, nothing else.

What's your favourite?  Any weird combinations you'd like to share?
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

BabyMac on October 13, 2009 at 4:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

LOVE sandwiches. And at the moment I have a particular love of them. ESPECIALLY with whole egg mayo. Some old time favs:

1. Salami, tomato, tasty cheese and tomato relish (toasted on wholemeal bap)

2. Toasted wholemeal bread served cold with chicken, whole egg mayo, tomato, av and LOTS of pepper (perhaps some rocket too)

3. Left over meatloaf with whole egg mayo and ketchup. SO GOOD.

4. Devon & tom sauce on fresh white bakers delight bread. Old school, and OH SO GOOD.

I could go on and on and on...

Teachermum on October 13, 2009 at 8:47 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! At the moment I can't stop making...a nice Kalamata crusty loaf with mozzarella, pesto, sundried tomatos and baby spinach leaves. Throw it in the sandwich press and yummy!

Kez said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Actually, that sandwich in the photo above looks pretty perfect to me!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015