Thursday, September 1

WHO LOVES COOKBOOKS?


ME, ME, PICK ME!

I have a major cookbook addition.  To me, they are like friends, you can never have too many and good ones last forever.

I'm giving away a bunch of my favourites in a bundle - this is open WORLDWIDE (if you're on a space station, sorry..)

In the bunch is:
Best of Bill - Bill Granger
Ministry of Food - Jamie Oliver
Nigella Kitchen - Nigella Lawson
Rachel Allen - Bake!
Piece of Cake - Leila Lindholm
Giada at Home - Giada De Laurentis


So to enter....
- Comment and tell me what your favourite cookbook is and why for one entry
- Get two entries if you do the above, and share the giveaway on facebook or twitter (don't forget to tag Frills in the Hills on Facebook and @frillyhills on twitter so I can count the entries!)

Entries close midnight 30th September Sydney time
Print this post in friendly format

69 lovely comments:

Melissa {Suger} on September 1, 2011 at 11:01 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favourite is our Jamie 30 Minute meals. Closely followed by a giant kitchen companion that shows you everything from boiling an egg. GOLD. For the basics that no one talks about.

Miss T on September 1, 2011 at 11:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My current favorite is the Readers' Digest Ultimate Soup cookbook. I LOVE SOUP, and this baby has about 900 soup recipes. There's nothing better than coming home and knowing there's a pot of leftover soup in the fridge I can just microwave, stir and eat.

Nikki @ Styling You on September 1, 2011 at 11:42 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My current fave is the Jamie Oliver 30 minute meals. Mainly because my husband grabs it every weekend and chooses something to cook from it. I don't mind at all that it actually takes him 90 minutes ... I just busy myself drinking wine.

Sarah @ Real Family Eats on September 1, 2011 at 11:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Now that's a tough one but my absolute favourite would have to be Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion. It is like a dear friend; reliable, helpful and always has a good story to tell :-) It is the one cookbook that I go back to again and again and again.

Also retweeted this competition on twitter :-)

Susan Leach on September 2, 2011 at 12:06 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi, this is a hard one, so many to choose from, but everyone in my family loves anything by Kylie Kwong and I love Jill Dupleix

The Uncommon Muse on September 2, 2011 at 12:07 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favorite is Nigella Bites because I adore her outlook on life and food and her recipes are simply utterly fabu!

rachel on September 2, 2011 at 1:32 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favorite is a family cookbook my great grandmother had put together. My family has been using these recipes for over 100 years. We add to it every few years so that it can be updated with more modern recipes. Everything is in it! It is very close to my heart. I can't wait to pass it on to my children.

Pastor Jayson Nadolny-Foster on September 2, 2011 at 4:41 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'd have to say Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet...at one point, my doctor had me on a gluten free diet and it saved my life! Now that I can eat gluten, it's still a staple in my kitchen!

Tash on September 2, 2011 at 5:51 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

The Australian Women's Weekly Cookbook that first came out in 1970. It's got all the basic, need to know recipes from pikelets to wedding cake, pavlova to pate. Mum has a copy and she found 2 more at garage sales and 2nd hand bookshops, for my sister and I. It taught me to cook and sent me on a path of food exploration and discovery.

annabel on September 2, 2011 at 6:36 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favourite is my fast fresh simple by Donna Hay. Closely followed by GoodFood 101 Cakes and bakes and Cakes by Pam Corbin. There's nothing like agreat cake recipes to impress your friends and loved ones.

Kellie said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I think the Edmonds book would be the one I use the most, thanks to my kiwi mum. Lots of trusty, easy recipes.

Bobbie on September 2, 2011 at 8:01 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Have so many, but anything from Donna Hay!

Leimay on September 2, 2011 at 9:12 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have many cookbooks but the one i love most doesn't have a cover on it, is in several pieces and lives in a plastic case that is falling apart as well. It was my step mothers and when the family updated the book for her (with a newer addition) she gave me what i always referred to as 'the holy cooking bible'. I may not use it as often as i could and probably should but the recipes in there have helped me to serve my family meals they wouldn't normally have eaten, taught me how to make many things like i used to eat when i was younger (made to my families tastes of course)
My 4 wonderful children have been warned that touching this book could mean them being donated to the university for scientific experimentation or worse!!! (of course they know i'm joking but none of them have ever touched it unless i have specifically asked)

(Of course Jamie's 30 minute meals is fantastic because i love the food and hubby does the cooking lol)

KH on September 2, 2011 at 9:17 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm another vote for the Edmonds Cook Book - it's a kiwi staple, and a tradition to give to your kids when they leave home! After reading the other comments though, I think I might need the Jamie Oliver 30 minute meals though.
I don't have a lot of cookbooks, as I've never had a great cooking kitchen so cooking has been a chore, hopefully the kitchen at our new place will be super inspiring and I can rekindle my love!

Lou said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favourite cookbook at the moment is Good to the Grain by Kim Boyce. It incorporates different flours/grains into baked goodness -LOVE the olive oil cake with rosemary and bittersweet chocolate...definitely made me feel less guilty about eating what was essentially chocolate and oil and sugar!

Lauren on September 2, 2011 at 12:46 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This is a hard one, as they're a bit like children! Personally I love my little personal cookbooks that I compile using clippings from magazines. I've been doing this since I moved out of home and started to get really interested in food. The early recipes are a bit safe, but as they go on they show how I've gotten more adventurous. They're always great to pull out because I know all the recipes have sounded tasty at one point or another.

But if I've got to go with something published it's probably Adrian Richardson's "Meat." My husband and I are both massive carnivores, and it's great to find a cookbook that goes straight to the things we want. None of those pesky salads, veggo dishes, or desserts (no sweet tooth here!). Just meat, meat, and more glorious meat!

Nic on September 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hmmm this is a tough one! But my favourtie and most treasured is actually my own personal on where I write recipes from family/friends and stick ones I cut out from a whole range of places!But to make it into this book I have to try them first and have my family enjoy them! As for purchased books I love my Women's Weekly beautiful biscuits and children's birthday cakes and Cookery the Australian Way 7th edition.

Nic on September 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]
This comment has been removed by the author.
olivia on September 2, 2011 at 2:10 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oooh! My favorite cookbook is the Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen. It's been my ol' trusty for many, many years, with easy to follow recipes, great tips, and I dig the way it looks hand written!

Kirsty on September 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favourite is a Marie Claire one called Flavours which was written by Donna Hay - I've had it for ages and I still use it all the time.

Rach A said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Love Stephanie Alexander's Cook's Companion. Usually I NEED to have photos of the recipes but Stephanie explains everything so well and I love the basics at the front of the book - muffins are our favourite. Also, anything by Jamie Oliver is fabulous. Love the way he writes - just as he speaks :)

Teresa (Smeared and Creased) on September 2, 2011 at 6:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have Stephanie Alexander, Jamie Oliver, Gabriel Gate, 4 Ingredients or Less (super handy btw) - but do you know what I use most often? My trusty Nursing Mothers Association Cookbook (circa 1970s) that I grew up cooking from and then got my own copy! I love it because it was compiled by mothers for mothers and it ranges from simple recipes to the more 'gourmet' for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even party treats! I love it!!!

Moscato and Cupcakes on September 2, 2011 at 7:17 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favourite book is Sydney Food by Bill Granger. I love Bill's scrambled eggs recipe and his Coconut bread recipe. Simple recipes, but ones that work evertime. I trust his recipes.

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Honestly? My fave is my own ... it's basically an exercise book full of glued-in recipes I've collected over the last nearly 10 years or so. it's got Nigella, Jamie O, Bill Granger, a whole lotta recipes from Delicious and even a few web-based ones (including anything you've featured with chorizo).

If my house was buring down, it's as important as my photo albums ... sad but true.

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts on September 2, 2011 at 10:22 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

AWW Cooking School! I bought it for my husband last year after his announcement of wanting to learn some good, basic techniques and recipes so he could adapt them at will (he's the head cook in this family and likes to experiment). But it's also brilliant for me - a very amateur cook! I copy his recipes and don't have a whole lot of creativity. That and it has the BEST butter cookie recipe!

Jodie VDZ said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favourite cookbook at the moment is Jamie 30 minute meals. The one I am using the most at the moment is Annabel Karmel's 100 Baby purees!
I really hope I win, although my husband thinks I definitely don't need any more cookbooks :)

Unknown on September 3, 2011 at 8:22 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love all of Jamie Olivers Recipe books` especially his 30 minute meals

amummy on September 3, 2011 at 8:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favourite is the NMAA (now ABA) red Cookbook.
It was commonly used growing up and it is now used regularly in my house.

However taste.com.au has to be most often used here, when I need to use up things in the cupboard.

Course of Perfection on September 4, 2011 at 3:37 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favorite cookbook right now is "The Pioneer Woman Cooks." I completely agree about never having too many cookbooks!

Kobi on September 4, 2011 at 8:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Anything by Nigella - particularly Feast, mmmm.

Jennifer Reid on September 5, 2011 at 9:14 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Simply Bill by Bill Granger....it's my "go-to" cookbook when I need some simple but delicious inspiration! Love it!

CamillaS on September 5, 2011 at 4:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favourite would be Donna Hay's Modern Classics 2. Her cakes, desserts and cookies are easy and always turn out!

unknown_anonymous on September 5, 2011 at 9:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My vote goes to Jill Dupleix's Old Food. I read it in the library when I was in highschool (2003) and wanted to buy a copy. Turns out, it's out of print, so I photocopied all of the recipes I wanted to try, (which was practically the whole book). 7 years later, still yearning to have a copy of my own, found it in a second hand book store in Dee Why. My goto book for all occassions! Beautifully written & the tone of her voice just inspires me to cook & try new things! Just love love love it!

Kristina on September 6, 2011 at 3:09 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

One of my favorites is Rachael Ray's Cooking 'Round the Clock because it has all different kinds of recipes and a lot of them are for two servings - being single usually means eating something several times in a row. While I do enjoy freezing the extras and having them handy for later on, sometimes it's nice just to make a meal for that day.

Wendy on September 6, 2011 at 7:59 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That is so hard as I use all of my cookbooks but the first one I thought of was "Not Just A Load Of Old Lentils" by Rose Elliot. It is falling apart and there is not one recipe in there that has not worked first time for me. It has given me a new way of eating over the years. It is now out of print and I cannot seem to find a new second hand one so until then I will keep using my old book.

Kylie G on September 6, 2011 at 9:42 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Definitely Nigella's How To Eat. It's my bible.

Talia on September 7, 2011 at 2:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I actually have that Nigella's Kitchen one, and it is defiintely one of my favourites. Otherwise can I choose my own cookbook full of recipes from my mum and grandma?

Francine said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have a few old fav's but I keep going back to Jaimie Oliver The Naked chef

Unknown on September 8, 2011 at 11:22 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You know, I keep going back to my high schoool home economics book, Day to Day Cookery (circa late 1970s) for its basic and economical recipes. No fancy or expensive ingredients and no complex techniques. The one egg recipe for a dozen "patty cakes" (pre-"cupcakes") is my favourite. I could, however, do with a collection of contemporary books which might spice the famiuly menus up a bit.

Shannon on September 8, 2011 at 11:36 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favourite is "The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook" (published by Murdoch Press). We don't eat much meat in our house, and it's great for entertaining vegetarians. The recipes are so great you don't even notice there isn't any meat in them! The soups & desserts sections are easily the most used in our house :)

katepickle on September 8, 2011 at 11:45 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

You know, I never buy books... and never ever buy cook books. There always seems so many other things on my list to buy that come well before books. But I was given a copy of 'A year in a bottle' by Sally Wise and I LOVE it. I have a secret thing for Nigella (can't decide if I love her or loathe her) so would quite like to be up close and personal with one of her books too...

Jen on September 10, 2011 at 7:19 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My fav would have to be AWW COOK. Very comprehensive but love a little Jamie O! I too have a mad obsession for cookbooks.

[Good Mum Hunting] on September 10, 2011 at 10:05 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Great giveaway!!

My favourite cookbook is Bill Granger - Basics.

It contains those amazing cafe recipes of his, such as the scrambled eggs, corn fritters and pancakes.

I love his positive attitude to cooking and love that he shares his cooking with his girls and family.

x

Nell B said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I grew up learning from my mothers copy of Cookery the Australian Way and when I moved out I got my own copy. It's brilliant for when I just want a basic recipe to get food on the table, without fussing around or needing ingredients I don't already have. And the foundation biscuit recipe with my own lemon icing has been a fave with my family since I was about 7.

Kerrie Czernia said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My fav cookbook is one that I made for the family for last Christmas.
I had everyone submit the recipes they are 'famous' for and then compiled and printed them out and had them bound. I thought it was a fantastic way never to lose them for future generations. There was even recipes in there from my grandmother and great grandmother.

Candice on September 12, 2011 at 10:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favourite is Jamie Oliver's - Jamie's Kitchen. I love the recipes in this. It is a regular go to cook book as many of the recipes are easy and I have the ingredients already stocked in the pantry/fridge.

Nessie said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favourite would have to be Maggies Kitchen. There is always something new in there for me to try. Whether its a relish or a meal it will always get my tastebuds going.

Ellie on September 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Another Jamies Kitchen fan here. It reminds me of when my husband was a stay at home dad and he used this book as his bible and we ate like that nearly every night. Till I think I put on 3 kg from all the butter and olive oil and had to gently persuade him to try other books

ninjamoeba on September 14, 2011 at 9:16 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

It's hard to pick, but if I was on a desert island with only one cookbook (and a well stocked kitchen) it would have to be Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion. Informative but not dull. Inspiring but not bamboozling. Great stuff.

Anna on September 15, 2011 at 2:54 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Anything by Tessa Kiros - it all started with Apples for Jam when my kids were younger and now I'm in love with them all...the recipes, the photographs, the stories...beautiful!

Megan said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mine would be my Nan's cookbook. Her lovely handwritten recipes, full of food that reminds me of my childhood - raspberry slice, apple crumble, zuchinni pickle, tomato relish, the list goes on!

Margie said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My fave is Donna Hay's "Fast, Fresh & Simple" - for two reasons, firstly they are low risk/low complexity recipes with high impact/taste and secondly, I watch her show on Foxtel with the recipe book on my lap and make notes on the tips & tricks she gives along the way!

Yvette Pointon said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favourite recipe book atm is 1 mince mix, 50 dinners! colaborated by Love Food.. with a fussy toddler and hubby, it comes in handy!

Cotter Blog on September 21, 2011 at 10:46 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We had just arrived in italia and was staying at (now) our most favourite place on earth http://casasangabriel.com/accommodation/il-fienile . On the book shelf was a cookbook called Cucina regional italiana. Over our stay, it introduced me to so many methods and styles and the amazing thing was it's writer was a lady named Sophie Braimbridge http://www.cookwithchefs.com/Chefs/sophie-braimbridge.aspx . Not very italian name, however, I think she must have been italian in some other life! Her risotto is very simple...as it should be! Bellissimo!

Ingrid on September 21, 2011 at 11:46 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favourite is Belinda Jeffery's 'Mix and Bake' - such great recipes and she writes beautifully.

Marita on September 21, 2011 at 10:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've got a copy of Lady Flo's cookbook that my mum gave me. She got it from her mum. they both wrote inscriptions in the front - I hope one day to write a note in the front and hand it to one of my girls.

Kate @ Our Little Sins on September 23, 2011 at 2:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I don't really like cookbooks (but my MIL does which is why I'm entering), I prefer taste.com.au but if I had to pick one it would be the Women's Weekly retro birthday cake book. I have looked through it so many times and I never get sick of it. Now I have kids I have a reason to bake cool birthday cakes!

Jasmine1485 on September 23, 2011 at 2:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love Margaret Fulton's Encyclopedia of Food and Cookery, I'm never disappointed by it! :) It always has the recipe I'm looking for (especially all those lovely nostalgic things you remember Mum/Grandma making) and the recipes always turn out great.

kate1485 at hotmail.com

Jasmine1485 on September 23, 2011 at 2:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I tweeted about it here:

http://twitter.com/#!/NTFancy/status/117099968409505792

kate1485 at hotmail.com

Fifi10 on September 25, 2011 at 3:15 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My favourite is Hungry? by the British Innocent smoothie people. I'm not sure why a smoothie company is writing about family food but it works - healthy food and it inspires me to try new things. Whodathunk you could make spanish cauliflower by throwing a bit of cooked cauliflower in the oven with some smoked paprika...yum!

Chont on September 26, 2011 at 8:13 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Nigella Kitchen- love Nigella's recipes. Great baking ideas that the whole family enjoys.

Unknown on September 26, 2011 at 11:56 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

There are a lot of cookbooks on my shelf but the one I find myself going back to again and again is "In the Kitchen" by fellow Aussies Allan Campion and Michelle Curtis (the same people behind the Seasonal Produce Diaries).

This book covers everything and the recipes are reliable, easy to follow and perfect for feeding families.

It's as big as The Cooks Companion and (dare I say it) a little more user friendly.

Kirsty on September 27, 2011 at 4:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I always keep coming back to my Stephanie Alexander Cookbook or my Jamie 30minute meals cookbook!

Kirsty on September 27, 2011 at 4:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I always keep coming back to my Stephanie Alexander Cookbook or my Jamie 30minute meals cookbook!

whisks on September 28, 2011 at 9:31 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

very daggy, but the AWW quick mix cakes cookbook was my life changing cookbook. i had never been able to bake a cake before this book, but now i can. there was never anything wrong with me or my oven - it was the recipes i used - they were unreliable.

scone on September 30, 2011 at 6:44 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My most used recipe book is a church one! People had sent their favourite recipes in and they made a recipe book. It's all tatty now!

Blundermum on September 30, 2011 at 1:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

4 ingredients for kids
My girls love cooking, and least this one has less possibility for chaos!

chloe on September 30, 2011 at 4:25 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Vegan with a Vengeance is my bible. I really love Isa Chandra Moskowitz's style - her anecdotes keep me amused and her recipes never, ever fail to please.

Lauren on November 29, 2011 at 1:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Any word on who won this awesome prize? I'm dying to know, and crossing my fingers!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015