Wednesday, January 5

Citrus tart


This was so much easier than I thought.  No making custard, no fussing really.  I will definitely make again except next time I make change it up a bit with passionfruit.   I started with Rachel Allen's recipe but I tweaked it a bit because I don't like my pastry to taste of so much butter and secondly I love lime.

My mum always buys these as a quick afternoon tea when she has no time to bake and I think I might surprise her with one of these one day when she visits next.  I might even get a bit fancy and pipe 'citron' or 'surprise' on it in dark chocolate :)

Ingredients:
Pastry
75g butter, chilled
100g plain flour
1 egg
1 tb custard powder


Filling
Zest of one lemon and one lime
3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1/2 cup caster sugar
Juice of 3 lemons and 1 lime
150ml cream


Method:
Place pastry contents in a food processor and process until the it comes together. 

 You may need to add a tablespoon of water or two depending how big your egg is..  If you don't have a food processor, rub the butter into flour and custard powder, add egg and knead until short pastry.

Place onto clingfilm and wrap and place in the refigerator for 30 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c

After 30 minutes chilling time, unwrap and keep your cling film, put it down on your surface and your pastry dough on top, and place another layer of clingfilm on top.

Roll it out to fit your pie or flan tin.

Fill your tin and then line the inside of the tin with baking paper over your pastry. Fill with rice, raw beans or pastry weights.   Fold the baking paper under your tin or cut it off and bake your pastry case for about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile make your filling by zesting and juicing your lemons and lime.

Add sugar and eggs

After whisking remove the froth - it will ensure your filling is rich and creamy.

Lastly add your cream, whisk and repeat taking the froth off.

Once your case is baked, place onto a baking tray and half fill the case with the filling.

Move to the oven and fill the last half in the oven - easier to fill to the top!

Bake for 20 minutes (don't answer the phone at the 18 minute mark and see these little brown dots!) and remove from oven, it will be wobbly like jelly but don't worry - it will continue to cook and thicken once it's removed.

Dust with icing sugar and serve!

Yum, want a piece?

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Peta said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooh looks good. Thanks for the step by step photos.

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum thanks for sharing -- love your blog!!!!!!!

Anonymous on January 6, 2011 at 4:17 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Congrats & happy bloggy birthday! I L O V E citrus tarts, thanks so much for sharing this recipe - it looks so yummo and super easy...makes me want to head to the kitchen right now!

Veggie Mama on January 10, 2011 at 10:32 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh my gosh, yum. Is it wrong of me to want to eat this for breakfast?!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015