Wednesday, October 21

Be careful what you name your children....



We have one of those surnames where anything starting with a C or a K just sounds wrong.  I mean really wrong.  L sounding names go quite well - so we have an Eloise, Laura and Olivia.  Olivia was a very hard name to agree on.  Eloise and Laura were agreed really before we had kids, but when it came to naming a third girl we were a bit stumped.  I liked Amelia, Maeve, Charlotte (Lottie for short!)  but hubby wouldn't have any of it. He liked Poppy. n.o.  w.a.y.  It sounded ridiculous with our surname I thought!

When pregnant with Laura and Olivia, they were a little shy about letting us know their gender. And I desperately wanted to know.  If I had to buy boy things, I didn't have an infinite amount of time to shop, and I'm so anal I really wanted it out of the way.

20 week scan - neither baby showed us
21 week scan (they were unco-operative in other ways so we were called back) - neither baby showed us
22 week scan (possible IUGR) Laura showed us...

So then we knew we needed to pick another girls' name.  We just gave up discussing it!  Then we were having fortnightly scans, 24, 26 week scans and Olivia was still being shy.

At the 28 week scan, we were in the waiting room awaiting the appointment. Hubby suddenly turned to me and said 'what about Olivia?'.

I said 'I don't hate it'. 
10 minutes later, Olivia showed us who she was.

Now I had dismissed Olivia previously because I felt it was too popular a name.  I didn't want her to be one of 4 Olivia's in her class.  But I couldn't come up with a better name, and over the rest of the pregnancy it grew on me.

But you know what? I write Olivia, but we don't even call her that!  Only when introducing her really.  We call her 'Livia.

Try saying Eloise, Laura and 'Livia ten times in a row.  Tongue-tied much?
I also call Laura and 'Livia by the wrong name.  More often than I get the right name. I know who I'm talking to, my brains' just fried.  But they're now at the age (almost 4) where they get indignant when I call them by the wrong name 'Mummyyyyy.. I'm OLIVIA!!'.

They're only 4, I've got a long way to go - better get my act together huh? 
Only goodness knows how the Duggars do it? Haven't they got like 19 kids starting with J?
Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Shell on October 21, 2009 at 5:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My mum still calls me by sisters name sometimes - we are 5 years apart, and our names are nothing alike!
Oh I also get my Auntie's name too - I think it's just a Mummy thing LOL

Kat on October 21, 2009 at 5:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm about to turn 22 and my sister is 23. Our names, Kathrine and Hayley, sound nothing a like yet my dad always calls us the wrong thing. Its quite funny actually. When he is having a really bad day we sometimes even get called Roxy, which is our dog ;)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on October 21, 2009 at 10:17 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Absolutely, some parents just don't seem to understand the importance of a name! Olivia is a gorgeous name, one of my favourites lately (but if you'd asked me 10 years ago, I don't think I would have considered it for some reason).


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015