Sunday, October 18

Sunday Baking Project:: Perfect Pink Ribbon cupcakes




I finally invested in a No. 1 wilton tip this week (whooohoo a whole $5 or something! and for those feeling confused it's a metal tip you put on an icing bag to ice cakes) and thought I'd give the Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting a try.  I've always looked at the recipe and thought 'oh dear lord that looks like too much trouble!' but in fact, now I've made it once, I will be doing it again. 

Thank you for the inspiration Australia Entertains  !

So I made the cupcakes I made last week for the lemon meringue cupcakes, up to the point of taking them out of the oven... It's easy, and takes little time.  Really melty-in-the-mouth too.

So I let them cool and made the frosting:

Ingredients (covers approx 40 cupcakes)
4 egg whites
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon juice
405g butter
food colouring (pink of course!)


Method:
Place egg whites and sugar in bowl over saucepan of simmering water


Whisk together and stir occasionally until the sugar completely dissolves.  You can check this by rubbing it between your fingers.


Transfer to a mixer/ing bowl that has been rubbed with the lemon juice
Whisk on high speed until mix roughly doubles in size and resembles meringue


Add colouring and vanilla, combine


Add butter 125 grams at a time, until all combined...



Keep whipping until it looks like it's curdling, it's not..! It's just transforming to your butter cream.  It should stick to the beaters.


Ice your cupcakes with a knife or with your tip.. it's super smooth and delicious!



Good thing is if you've made too much, you can freeze (and the cakes too if you wanted to make them ahead for pink ribbon day!)  You can also vary them by adding cachous, sprinkles, edible glitter, whatever you like!


This recipe is over at my pink ribbon appeal with some other gorgeous Aussie blogsphere creations, have a look!
Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Rina on October 18, 2009 at 6:36 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

GORGEOUS!! I love my tips too - they are so much fun!!!

Kat on October 18, 2009 at 9:43 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I have always felt the same about this icing being too hard. I might have to give it a try over uni holidays.

Cathie on October 18, 2009 at 2:20 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

it's great and very delicate, they look gorgeous Liss.

Vicki on October 19, 2009 at 12:55 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I honestly prefer SMBC over buttercream it is so much lighter and you don't end up with that sickly icing sugar taste you get with buttercream. Great work on the piping, its all in the tips hehe!

Trisha on October 19, 2009 at 9:42 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Excellent cupcakes! And yes I agree... every cupcaker needs a Wilton 1M tip! Hmmm maybe I should make cupcakes for pink ribbon in my office too.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015