Thursday, October 29

My motivation for pink ribbon day



Today I'm off co-hosting a pink ribbon breakfast.... that might explain why my blog's been a bit bare yesterday and today.

I'm really pleased to say that I've raised $275.00 from online donations, and tomorrow hopefully we can raise more.

To me, pink ribbon day used to be a charity that I would support in a small way - buy a badge, pen, cupcake or some similar type merchandise and not give it much thought.... but then I met a colleague at work that took me a little step closer.  In her 30's like me, she was newly married and looking at starting a family, without her mother.

Her mother had passed away in her late teens/early twenties and left behind herself, two brothers and a husband.  It pained me to learn such a vivacious, generous spirited and caring person like herself didn't have a Mum - growing up doesn't finish when we turn eighteen.  No mother to share her engagement, wedding and most recently the arrival of her beautiful baby boy.  She couldn't ask her Mum about her pregnancies, share those special life-changing moments.

Imagine that.  Imagine leaving your babies behind.. Imagine my kids growing up without me.  We did have a close call almost two years ago, where I almost did die - thank goodness that wasn't a reality for my girls.

So I want to make sure I can help promote and assist the pink ribbon campaign.  For my friend, for her Mum, for my girls.

Do you have a motivation for pink ribbon day?
Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Cathie on October 29, 2009 at 10:40 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ohhh Liss, that story brought a LARGE tear or many tears to my eyes...
you have done fabulous with your donations & support for this cause.
my motivation, well we lost my dad 2 months ago to cancer so it is pretty fresh and painful,
fantastic work Liss!

Shell on October 29, 2009 at 1:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh Liss - the thought of that made me cry :(

My motivation is my Grandmother - she had breast cancer and fought it. She had a masectomy, and while she still passed earlier than she should from a heart condition - she got to see her grandchildren grow.

Shell on October 29, 2009 at 1:55 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

p.s. thanks for inviting me today - I had a lovely morning :)

Danielle on October 29, 2009 at 11:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

My motivation is my friend who at 29 has had a mastectomy, and just finished 6 months of chemo...she is a true inspiration. Before it was just about supporting the cause, now its personal.

Unknown on October 30, 2009 at 7:21 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Melissa...thanks so much for your gorgeous words. Although I had to watch my mum die from this wretched disease, I still count myself one of the lucky ones because I got to say goodbye. And thanks for all you did to help raise money - bring on the cure!

My mum is missed every day. Although my husband and my son will never know her, and will never appreciate for themselves what an amazing lady she was, I will always make sure that they know. And that she is never forgotten.

Big hugs to you!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015