Thursday, December 5

Home made strawberry Jam


This is the best part of having strawberries at a good price and believe me, home made strawberry jam tastes a LOT better than the stuff you buy in the supermarket.  It doesn't take a lot of effort and I find it easy to do when I'm cooking other things. I can make it by sight now and love the smell of it bubbling away.

A few months ago I bought 21 punnets of strawberries for $21.   I hulled them and froze them in 1kg bags.  These are good for shakes or sauces - but I needed the room in my freezer again and we were getting low on jam - so this was an obvious next step.  You can also put other berries with strawberries in this one - frozen raspberries and blueberries are lovely to make a mixed berry jam.

This time of the year, this is a lovely home-made gift that will almost always be used by the recipient.  I mean, who doesn't love home-made strawberry jam!?

Ingredients:
1.5kg strawberries, at room temperature
1.25kg sugar (yes, I know, but remember you only use a tb at a time!)
1/2 lemon
2 tb vanilla extract

Method:
If you are using frozen berries, defrost first, and then place in a heavy large saucepan.

Add vanilla, sugar and cut up lemon.  Bring to the boil for about 5 minutes, then down to a simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes.

Don't worry if you have a 'scum' on the top.  This is normal, Just sweep as much of it off as you can with a spoon.  Place a ceramic plate in the freezer for testing later..

As per my Nan's  marmalade recipe, test to see if the jam is ready by placing a small amount of the jam on the plate.  If it spreads, it's not ready.  Bring the jam up to the boil again for 5 minutes and test again, repeat until it doesn't spread and it gel-like.

Pour into your sterilised jars (again, I do this by putting on a hot rinse in the microwave) and fill up your jars!

If you end up with 5.5 jars like me, that's a good excuse to put that one straight in the fridge!

Yum!  Jam on scones time!


Print this post in friendly format

0 lovely comments:


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015