Sunday, October 11

Sunday Baking Project: Lemon Meringue Cupcakes


I have just wanted to make these forever.    So when I found the recipe, it was a good excuse to use up some of my lemon and lemon passionfruit butter, which both jars were at the the 'almost empty' stage.  (Now I get to make some big batches before citrus harvest packs up!)

Anyways, I digress.  These do not disappoint, in fact, they inspire.  I ate one warm, and although they're also great cold, warm needs to be experienced... oh salivating just writing that.

200gr butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup lemon or passionfruit butter
1/2 lemon
3 egg whites
3/4 cup caster sugar


Method:

Preheat oven to 160 deg (fan forced) or 180 (non fan-forced)



With a mixer, cream the butter, vanilla and 1 cup of caster sugar together
Add the eggs, one at a time - the mixture will separate - don't stress!


Take the mixture off the mixer and add 1/2 the flour and half the milk, stir with spoon, spatula and when combined well, add the other half (it's beautiful and silky at this point!)
With two spoons, fill your paper cases (I have used Robert Gordon Liberty cases - fills 20, but if you were to use small cupcake cases it would make around 24) about 1/3 of the way up (I large tablespoon)
Flatten them down as much as possible, then put in the oven for about 10-15 minutes.
When cooled for about 30 minutes, with a spoon, spoon out centres (round 20c coin size) and fill with lemon or passionfruit butter.
Whilst the cakes are cooling, wipe the inside of your mixing bowl with 1/2 lemon.  Add eggwhites and whip until you get stiff peaks.  Add caster sugar and whip for a further 1-2 minutes until meringue is glossy.
Put meringue into a ziplock bag and cut off the corner so it's about 1/2cm from bottom.
In a circular motion, ice cupcakes basically to cover all of the lemon/passionfruit butter and overlap with cake.  Doesn't need to be super professional, you can fix up any issues with a knife afterwards!
Put back in the oven for about 5 minutes until slightly browned on top.









Enoy!
Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

Elizabeth (aka Jadzia) said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum. Makes me wish I had some lemons in the house...

PinkPatentMaryJanes on October 11, 2009 at 12:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow. Just wow.

Wow.

Rina on October 11, 2009 at 6:39 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love your cupcake cups!!!!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on October 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh gorgeous! Are those the Robert Gordon cupcake holders? They're divine! I must get some of that pattern :)

Teachermum on October 13, 2009 at 8:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh they look delicious! I think I will have to make some for my Dad, he would love them.

Traci on October 15, 2009 at 4:54 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These look delicious, and oh-so-cute!

Ellie on August 8, 2011 at 1:27 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I know this is an old post but I have to ask about the lemon wipe on the bowl before whipping the meringues. I have never heard of this before.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015