Sunday, October 30

Messages from Manila part three - weird and wonderful


I have to say I'm getting a little used to my surroundings... I'm getting used to having a driver, a maid and the food.  I'm used to the money and the TV stations and the ever present heat and humidity.   I'm not used to missing my family and I'm not used to not cooking, I'm craving those two things in my life, given they were only a short time ago the entire focus of my life.

I was just sitting in the kitchen after having cooked most of the day (oh I feel normal!) thinking to myself I'm going to miss this on some level, the (limited) time to myself, the lovely way the maid does my laundry and folds my underwear into squares (I know, it's the small things... literally!) and I need to start focussing on what I can enjoy here rather than what I'm missing.

Now let me fill you in on some weird and wonderful things I've seen here in Manila... I actually love checking out the supermarkets when I travel overseas... I don't know if that makes me a bit weird... oh well.

Alcohol is SOOOO cheap. Example - Barcardi Apple 700ml is $13!

Umm I'm sure there's a market for this but I found it hilarious - this is for the bathroom - toilet roll holder, magazine rack - for about $60!...

 Now, I'm finding it hard to find decent cheese here, most people eat this stuff  - it's like blue-box kraft cheddar - I bought some for our friend Eden ... I'm sure she's really enjoying it...

And here, TGI Fridays is huge - actually fast food is unbelievably huge here but I seriously couldn't believe it when I saw you could buy their dishes in the frozen section of the supermarket!

OK enough of the supermarket, I've been to this restaurant a few times now, and as a non-wine drinker it seems a bit wasted on me although the food is lovely... but what I want to show you is how you can serve yourself wine!  If you like to taste or try a few, you grab a card that is attached to your bill and you pour yourself what you like.  


Depending on whether it's white or red, the fridge is chilled to the correct temperature.. the prices are quite reasonable too, from about $3.50 to $8 a glass..

Now who wants one of these in your house!!?
Print this post in friendly format

9 lovely comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oooh, my husband would LOVE the toilet roll/magazine all in one holder!

I personally love going to supermarkets overseas as well. Some of the things you can get are mind-blowing!

Christie on October 30, 2011 at 6:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I can't imagine how hard it is for you without your family Liss, but good on you for making the best of it. Keep enjoying those little things ;)

Leimay on October 30, 2011 at 6:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

there is a wine tasting section similar in Glebe Sydney, hubby loves it but like you i'm a non wine drinker and it is very lost on me :)

I think my hubs would like the toilet roll holder too lol.

Corrie on October 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I totally love going to supermarkets AND chemists in other countries. So many things to buy/try/laugh at.

once I was in japan and bought what I thought was a black bean sweet - I bought it at the airport, got it home, opened it up, put it in my mouth only to realise it was soap! ewwwwwwwwwwwww I really did have to wash my mouth out:) I felt so stupid!

Corrie:)
corrie:)

Corrie on October 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kirsty S said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Awesome! I had a marvellous time in the UK comparing what Tesco/Waitrose/Sainsburys had... but the M&S food to go was awesome. *lol* I know a few people that would find the toilet roll holder/mag rack handy... and they all have those waterproof shower radio things as well. *lol*

Nikki @ Styling You on October 31, 2011 at 12:33 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yes please on the wine dispenser!

Maryandlil on October 31, 2011 at 11:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh wow Liss!! so much to see! I should put in an order for some Bacardi from you LOL $13~ bargain!!!!! :)

Sophie on November 7, 2011 at 11:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Those are some supermarket items I haven't seen before. I usually am taken aback when I go to HK and see all these different lollies, and KitKats (Pineapple, Green Tea, anyone?) but the Toilet handler is best gift ever lol.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015