Wednesday, September 8

Lunchbox Legends: Bacon & veg slice



I'm not a fan of eating sandwiches every day for lunch and either are my frills.   We try as much as possible to mix it up and have stuff like maybe cracker and cheese, soup, risotto or quiche for lunch.  Sometimes we have wraps, salads and cold slices.  This recipe is one such slice.

In particular Eloise is addicted to quiche.  And as much as pastry is therapy for me (yes, I know I'm weird) sometimes I just don't have time.   So this slice is an easy one to whip up whilst you wash dishes after dinner or even in an emergency if you realise one morning you don't have bread, whilst you're eating breakfast because it takes very little time.

Ingredients:
4 rashes bacon, diced
4 spring onions, diced
1/2 cup frozen vegetables - I have used peas and corn
1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
5 eggs, beaten lightly
1/4 cup milk
1 tb self raising flour
1 pinch dried thyme
Pepper and salt.

Method:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees c
In a saucepan or frypan, cook the bacon for about 1 or 2 minutes, set aside.

In a large bowl or jug mix together eggs,milk, flour, thyme, pepper and salt.  

Add bacon, onion, cheese and vegetables to the egg mix.  Stir to combine and then pour into a greased slice tin.


Bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through and slightly browned on top.

Allow to cool completely in baking tin

Cut up into desired shapes/sizes.  Store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.


Print this post in friendly format

8 lovely comments:

Virginia on September 8, 2010 at 8:51 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Excellent, Liss - this is much like my zucchini slice (which I often make with half zucc/half carrot), and sometimes with bacon, others without. Great to have another variation - esp with frozen vegs. Sometimes I need to keep the fresh veg for dinner!!!!

Christie @ Fig and Cherry on September 8, 2010 at 11:58 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yummy! Love the versatility of this.

Katie on September 9, 2010 at 1:50 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! This looks like something that will appeal to the whole family. I'll be making this for sure :)

PlanningQueen on September 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks super and I think even easy enough for my 11 year old to cook!

Allison on September 13, 2010 at 8:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I made this on Friday night with a salad for a nice easy dinner (cuz the man of the house was out and he only endures quiche not enjoys them).

The kiddies (15, 13, 10) and I all thought it was delicious.

Thanks for all your recipes, I'm off to check out the m&m cookies now...

Seana Smith on October 4, 2010 at 10:20 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I made this the other night, it's a really handy one for my family as my husband is vegetarian but myself and the kids eat meat. So I made a smaller one for him, then stirred in the bacon and made one for the rest of us. BUT some of my kids are so fussy!! All advice on picky eaters welcome Liss!

Liss on October 4, 2010 at 10:25 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We don't have fussy eaters as such but Olivia used to the whole 'I don't like this' before she tried it. What other people have told me they have done:

1. Don't give up, just because they don't eat it first time doesn't mean they won't again. Keep presenting it - if they are really hungry they will eat it

2. Don't offer alternatives, this will only allow them to become fussier

3. Get them involved in the cooking - so get them to add the peas, the corn, whatever it is, they may be more inclined to eat something if you talk it up how 'they' made it.

Good luck xx

NannaMel on May 30, 2011 at 5:32 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Love it!
So versatile and I am looking forward to making this for my own lunches!
You could also interchange the bacon for caramelised onions for another vego option?
Thanks Liss!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015