Monday, September 6

My favourite way to eat brussel sprouts


Don't squirm, don't look away.  These brussel sprouts are delicious.  I'm ever-so-slightly addicted to them.  I mean REALLY addicted.  If brussel sprouts aren't really your bag, please try them this way - you may change your mind!

This is another vegetable that I didn't eat when I was a kid - my mother had an aversion to them when she was a child - and kept telling me and my sisters that brussel sprouts were used as a form of punishment at her dinner table as a child.   Imagine my surprise a few years ago when she had some on the stove and professed her love for them with garlic!    So.... it goes to show, cooked the right way you can eat almost anything - even if you bare childhood scars.

My frills?  They love, love LOVE these too. And every time I've made them recently I always say I'll make more, but still, there never seems to be enough.  It seems strange right?  We're talking about brussel sprouts... Good thing it only takes about 20 minutes to make.  Totally worth every minute.


Ingredients:
500g brussel sprouts
2 tb olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
100g sliced pancetta, diced
3/4 cup chicken stock


Method:
Steam your brussel sprouts for about 5 minutes in the microwave or 10 minutes on the stove.

Meanwhile, heat oil in pan, add garlic and pancetta, and cook for about 1-2 minutes.

Add back the brussel sprouts and chicken stock.  Place lid on pot and cook for a further 5 minutes.

Serve.
Print this post in friendly format

7 lovely comments:

Jamie on September 6, 2010 at 7:49 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum, Liss. Love Brussells. Have you tried them baked? I cut them in half, toss in olive oil, grind over black pepper, onto a flat oven tray, 25 minutes at 180°C.

But I like your idea with the pancetta and the stock. In fact I've taken to cooking all sorts of vegetables in a puddle of chicken stock.

Jane on September 6, 2010 at 8:29 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ewwwww brussel sprouts!!! Although, given your track record, I'm going to trust you on this one and will give it go later in the week. They better be good ;)

xx

Christie @ Fig and Cherry on September 6, 2010 at 10:50 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'd add a few toasted pine nuts to this and absoute heaven!!! Nice work Liss.

I also like them roasted with bulbs of unpeeled garlic that goes all soft and gooey and then gets tossed through the cooked sprouts with a drizzle of olive oil, yum!

Di on September 6, 2010 at 11:07 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

NOTHING can make brussel sprouts palatable. Dip em in arsenic and they'd be an improvement.

Unknown on September 6, 2010 at 2:57 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

is this some kind of seriously late april fools madness?
I thought the only way to eat them was smothered in mashed potato and gravy and hold your nose.
I might have to try this way... skeptical though.
very skeptical.
I'm only doing it because they are so nutritious - and because it's you.

Amber Kids on June 2, 2011 at 4:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

love my brussel sprouts, always have but haven't eaten them in ages!

Have just added the ingredients to tonights shopping list :D Can't wait to try this version, thanks!

Being Me on June 2, 2011 at 8:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh, yes, yes, yes. I do love brussells sprouts... A fact I kept well hidden growing up for fear of ridicule! Brussells lovers unite! Am going to try them this way for my equally enamoured 4yo (the husband is yet to be won over). Thanks!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015