Friday, September 10

Getting ready to eat outdoors! Amazing BBQ prawns!


Oh I finally feel like we've arrived at Spring.  Although I've had a horrendously hectic week, I wake up in the morning and look outside.  It looks brighter, and sunnier somehow - it's easier to start the day.  I am filled with optimism.

I picked up some Australian green prawns this week for $16 a kg - brilliant and I was getting excited, I was feeling the spring in my step.  I was going to make something for dinner - maybe we'd be able to eat it outside?

No such luck, but I was close!  I think another 3-4 weeks and we'll be at the outdoor table, the jasmine will be blooming and my gardenia's will be budding up ready to burst into summer.  My garden is so fragrant in Spring!

Now back to these prawns. Easy marinade, only need an hour or so but marinade overnight if you like!  The odour may warrant some concern when you open your marinading container, but don't fear, it tastes delicous after it's cooked.


Ingredients:
1 kg green prawns, peeled, with tails intact
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 tb caster sugar
2 tb sesame oil
1/2 red chilli, chopped finely, remove the seeds if you like it less hot!
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2cm of ginger, finely grated
Skewers

Method:
In an airtight container mix all ingredients except prawns and skewers.  Set aside.

Soak your skewers for about 10 minutes in water - this reduces the chance of them burning on the grill.

Place your prawns on the skewers and then the skewers into the marinade with lid on, in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

Grill on a griddle pan, frypan or BBQ for a minute on each side.

Serve with salad or rice.
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Christie @ Fig and Cherry on September 10, 2010 at 2:48 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooh, love the pretty blue tails on the prawns. Yummy marinade too ;)

Super Sarah on September 10, 2010 at 4:59 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mmmmm, I love the funk of fish sauce smells! Incredible how you can add something so stinky to a meal and have it turn out so delicious. I love grilling the giant prawns on the bbq but as is our family tradition we grill them with a little olive oil and eat them with plain jasmine rice, the key ingredient to turn the meal from boring to sublime is a bit pot of fresh garlic butter and another one of fresh lemon butter. Lots of finely diced tomatos and white onions.

Oh, I can just taste the flavour combination now. I might have to pay a visit to the Fishmarkets next week for a treat!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015