Thursday, September 23

Warm Thai beef salad



It's like spring has filled me with a renewed energy to cook.  I just want to cook with fresh flavours and I'm pulling out my summer recipe books and turning my attention back to my vegetable patch (which is still going I do need to take photos don't I?) and my inspiring herb garden.    I've used spring onion, mint, coriander and lettuce from our garden for this recipe - it's wonderful eating the benefits of your garden!

I'm anticipating daylight savings, eating on the deck, impromptu barbeque-ing and a lot less washing.  I'm feeling literally a spring in my step.. maybe that's why it's called spring?

I'm in love with this recipe - it's really simple, and can be made in 20 minutes.   The meat portion can made on the barbeque or on the stove.  So you can split up the jobs and cut the time right down!   A great Friday night dinner I think - the sunset a wine or beer and this salad.  Bliss.

Ingredients:
3 spring onions, sliced
1/2 red onion, finely diced
6-8 mint leaves, finely chopped
2-3 fresh kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped (optional)
1 bunch of coriander, finely chopped
6 cos lettuce leaves, roughly torn
2 lebanese cucumbers, sliced
2 tb fish sauce
2 tb lime juice
pinch chilli powder

600g blade steak(budget) or topside (premium)
100g unsalted raw peanuts

Method:
Wash all your greens, and place the onions, herbs, lettuce and cucumbers in your salad bowl.


Mix your dressing together by combining fish sauce, lime juice and pinch of chilli powder in a small bowl or cup.  Set aside.

Heat up your grill or frypan and oil and season your meat. 


Cook for about 3-4 minutes first side and 2 minutes other side.  Remove from grill/pan and leave to rest for about 3 minutes.

Turn your oven onto grill and place peanuts under for about 1 minute to roast whilst you letting your beef rest.  Set aside.

Cut meat in thinnish slices against the grain.

 Place meat into your salad, mix with your (clean!) hands, pour over your dressing and sprinkle with peanuts - serve!

Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

reality ravings on September 23, 2010 at 10:33 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Does Blade work for this? I love thai beef salad and really need to put it on higher rotation.

Also saw a delicious organic porthouse steak in Aldi the other day I am very tempted to try that on pay week.

PinkPatentMaryJanes on September 23, 2010 at 10:42 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum! I do love a good thai beef salad {and want to cry over a bad one - the other day I was served one with baby rocket leaves as the greens - no mint either - yuk}. This is going onto my meal plan!

Pam on October 13, 2010 at 10:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've never tried a warm beef salad but I'm sure my husband would like this one. Being a vegetarian I'm thinking I could use mushrooms, strips of omelette or even aubergine(maybe?) instead for myself. I'll have to go and experiment I think! Thanks for the recipe. :)

Lou on October 14, 2010 at 9:07 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Perfect choice for an easy peasy dinner winner ;) Looks yum! I love the split of hubby on the BBQ and me doing the other bits. Stereotype I know but works well. Will give it a try. Lou.

emma @ frog, goose and bear on October 14, 2010 at 7:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Any meal made in 15 minutes has got to be a winner. Thanks for such detailed instructions. This looks perfect for a BBQ with this warmer weather.

You have some great recipes - I'm looking forward to more!

mamabred on November 10, 2010 at 6:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

mmmm YUM! I love your recipes and so know what you mean about spring being inspiring - I feel like I have gotten into a real meal plan rut since winter and we are having the same things every single week, boring!

I will be visiting often to help me get creative again in the kitchen.
Sarah xx


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015