Sunday, September 19

Sunday Baking Project: Savoury corn bread and 'man muffins'- perfect for soup


How did it get to Sunday again so quickly?  I've found myself saying 'hanging out for Monday' because my weekends have been so jam-packed of late.... this coming week I have nothing planned - apart from next Sunday which I can cope with.  It will be nice to be at home and get on top of a few things....!

I've got a bunch of magazines to go through and read
My hall closet and my pantry are at the point where I wince every time I open them (not good!)
I'll need some necessary down-time before the school holidays start next week! (Queenslanders you're already on holidays I think?)
Oh, and it's mine and hubby's wedding anniversary tomorrow!
and of course, I need to bake, I mean I need to bake!

This week's baking project is inspired by an American friend of mine Cherie.  Not Sherry.  As in the french Cherie - meaning dear/darling.  She makes a mean corn bread that's if you ask me a bit too moorish.  Whenever she brings it to playgroup I am the one hovering over the warm tin.  It's terrible Muriel.

So this bread is best warm, straight out of the oven.  It's quick to make too - no yeast/rising etc, just whack it together in a bowl,  bake it, eat it.  Fabulous.   Make it when you're making/heating up your soup.


Ingredients:
2 cups polenta or corn meal
1 1/2 cups plain flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups grated tasty cheese
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried chives
1 tsp dried thyme
1 small red onion, diced finely
2 - 2 1/2 cups milk


Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c

Grease a loaf tin liberally and dust with polenta.  If making muffins, place large muffin cases on baking tray.

In a large mixing bowl mix polenta, flour, baking powder, salt.  Combine well.
Add cheese, paprika, chives, thyme and onion.   Once again, combine well with a spoon or fork.

Add milk, one cup at a time until the mixture is a sloppy yet lumpy almost consistency.

Pour into loaf tin or muffin cases.

Bake for 25 minutes on a mid to high oven shelf.  Cool in tin, turn out and slice - lash with butter, go on, I now you want to.


If you baked muffins, serve them with your soup directly, great to freeze and take to work with soup for lunch.

Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Elisha on September 19, 2010 at 7:35 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

looks like a really good option for lunch today.... I have sprained my ankle and we are out of bread. I have ordered the shopping online but it doesnt arrive till tomorrow. yum yum!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015