Tuesday, September 7

Peanut butter and jelly cupcakes



Yes.  You read right.  It's a bit unusual I know.  My hubby much to my displeasure loves himself a PB&J sandwich on a regular basis or PB&J on toast.  I wince, I look away.  He assures me it tastes wonderful but meh, not for me.

On father's day I could have made his favourite dessert tirimisu or even our compromise cake but I was struck by a thunderbolt when I read Cathie's wonderful post about peanut butter cupcakes.    So I was the ever-loving-and-dutiful wife and made my hubby a cupcake I knew he would well and truly love.

And I wasn't wrong.  What I didn't count on is actually how much I liked them...  whilst Cathie's cupcakes are divine and would work so well on their own, the star of this cupcake is the frosting.  Imagine the inside of a reese's cup or peanut butter M&M's on a cupcake.  The frosting would equally be as good on chocolate cupcakes or even butter cupcakes.

I used a wilton no1 tip to ice them, cute,  no?


Ingredients:
Cake
75g butter, room temperature
125g crunchy peanut butter
185g brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
125g plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
60ml milk, room temperature

Icing
60 butter, softened
120g smooth peanut butter
2 cups icing mixture, sifted
milk


Method:

Preheat oven to 160C and line a 12 hole cupcake pan with papers. (I used a mini cheesecake pan, I like the shape! And it made 15)

Beat the sugar, butter and peanut butter for a few minutes until well combined. 





Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition then add vanilla and mix until incorporated.


Sift flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl, and add to butter mixture one third at a time alternating with milk until all added. 

Spoon mixture into cupcake papers.




Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until cooked. Test with a skewer.





Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes and then place on wire rack to completely cool.

With a spoon, dig out a little of the top of the cake out, and spoon in some strawberry or raspberry jam.



 Make your icing by whipping the butter and peanut butter together.  Slowly beat in the sugar on a low setting - and add milk to get a frosting-like consistency.


Spoon or pipe onto cakes.  Top with a fresh raspberry or strawberry or a fresh peanut!  If you have leftovers, spoon it between chocolate cookies or as a filling in a chocolate cake!



And yes, hubby loves them.  Or should I say LOVED them.  All g-o-n-e.

Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

hazey skye on September 7, 2010 at 3:17 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooh I also love peanut butter and jam sandwiches or toast so I'm definitely gonna give this a go! Hubby can learn to love it!

Cat on September 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Nom nom...on the list for next week now! :)

Cathie on September 8, 2010 at 11:09 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

cute!!!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015