Monday, September 27

Ikea day at Frills in the Hills....


You may know well if you've read this blog for a little while I am a dedicated disciple of the Ikea movement.  There is a standard almost lecture on the way to Ikea - my hubby says:  'If it's flat-packed, you put it together'.  Said with the greatest of affection of course....   But what actually happens is -  I agree, and then we buy something flat-packed, I attempt to put it together myself and hubby gets exasperated and takes over.  Works like a charm...

A few weeks ago I was contacted to see if my family would like to take part in a Today Tonight segment 'The Ikea Family Challenge'.  This really was a no-brainer.   Hubby asked 'will I have to put together any flat pack furniture?'.

I winced and shrugged my shoulders.

So we rose nice and early and headed to Homebush - we had an AMAZING time.  Please watch Today tonight tonight to see how we went!  Here's a preview of tonight's episode - click on 'Next on Today Tonight'

The whole challenge was built around getting the word out about Ikea Family, and although I had already joined prior to the show, as I follow Ikea on Facebook and Twitter, I didn't know much about it.... so late last week I returned to Ikea, and had a chat to and was given a personal tour by Mark Channing, Manager for Ikea Family:


So what is Ikea Family?
Well it's a new loyalty program specifically aimed at families.  Families are the main consumer at Ikea and Ikea family has been around for decades in Europe, we're almost the last to catch on, and I'm so glad that we have because it's a great little program!


What are the perks?
At least 50 products at any one time are reduced for Ikea Family members.  These change a few at a time on a regular basis and are an average of 25% off.  The products are always items that are popular sellers in the first place, so you don't have to worry about it being 'end of line stock' or the like.



How do I know what's an Ikea family discounted item?
They are labeled at the item see below:


You can find them on the Ikea family website (you need to register and log in to see them ;) )
Or, you can log into the Ikea family hubs around the store!  You can also join from these hubs, and print out a temporary card - so you don't need to miss out on the other discounts and freebies in store..!

Freebies?  Did someone say freebies?
Yes, there are freebies.  As parents I know you'll appreciate free coffee instore!  How good is that? Also as an Ikea family you will get an automatic subscription to the International magazine Ikea family live.  The first magazine will be sent out in November and will feature two Australian families (A big coup as it is a world-wide magazine!)
Also with every swipe at an Ikea family store*, you'll be in the draw to win a $250 voucher - every week - at every store!
* NSW, Qld and Vic at this stage

Other perks
  • Discounts in the cafe! Woot! (we never miss out on the cafe do you?)
  • Store to home insurance and a 12 months return policy on all purchases
Plus, you're doing something nice for someone else:
Every swipe of your Ikea family card will also mean 10c will also be donated to charity!  Each store has a nominated co-beneficiary to Unicef.  So you can choose to have either half or all the money going to one of both of the charities.   The Sydney Homebush store is Bear Cottage for example!  And by every swipe that also means when you are collecting your free coffee or even returning something!

Join here

So, do you think you'd join? Are you Ikea disciples? 

NOW, it doesn't end there - this afternoon I'm having an Ikea themed giveaway - see you after lunch OK?


PS:  Thanks to Green Tomato Cars for taking us!

Print this post in friendly format

8 lovely comments:

BabyMac on September 27, 2010 at 9:29 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I am VERY much looking forward to seeing this tonight! From the clip...it looks like it will be funny.

nellbe on September 27, 2010 at 10:06 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Since I am on the Ikea website almost every week, I joined Ikea Family as soon as it hit the website. I already have my lovely orange card. I am looking forward to tonight's show too!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Just went and signed up! Thanks for this info Liss. Ikea is my spiritual home, helped by the fact that it is only 5 minutes away from our house.

Bec Clarke on September 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh I saw the promo last week and wondered if you were on it. I will be watching.
I don't live in a Major city anymore but I used to "live" in Ricmond Ikea on the weekends when I lived in Melbourne. I wish they did mail order... I will still join the "Family" in the hope that I make it to a store again one day.

Penelope on September 27, 2010 at 11:37 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss do you know if this will be coming to WA?

Kylez..aka...Mrs.P! on September 27, 2010 at 11:40 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh wow, that is awesome! I am so gonna tell my girlfriend about that, she is an Ikea NUT! In fact, I just made her an Ikea emergency kit...$100 in a frame that says "Break in Case of Ikea Emergency"...I thought it was a little nicer than just giving her money in a card to spend there! I think I am gonna have to join up myself! Do you have to have kids, or does planning to have a kid in the near future qualify you?

Talia on September 27, 2010 at 12:48 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Wow, this looks awesome! Thanks for sharing Liss!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on September 27, 2010 at 5:13 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I cannot wait to see this tonight! :D I'm going to be watching for the key moments too! ;)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015