Wednesday, September 29

Easy peasy no fail custard sponge cake




On my last birthday my hubby made me the most beautiful sponge cake I'd ever eaten.  I was truly impressed.  It would have me stumped for days.  It would have rivaled any CWA bake-off entrant easily.

Where DID he gets this recipe from?  He got it from the internet of course! Best recipes in fact!

So some two months later I decided to give it a go myself - it's fool proof !  What a fabulous recipe!  Give it a go - you'll love it!   I iced mine with coloured whipped cream as I took it to a baby shower (can you guess the gender? Hmmmm) but you could fill it with cream and leave it at that!

Ingredients
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla essence
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup cornflour
1 tb custard powder
2 tb hot water
Pinch of salt


Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c
Grease 2 x round or ring cake tins, dust them with  a mixture of 1 tb icing sugar and 1 tb cornflour, set aside.

Whip egg whites until they form stiff peaks, add caster sugar.  Set aside.
In a jug, mix egg yolks with vanilla - fold through the egg whites.

Sift cornflour, custard powder, cream of tartar, bicarb soda and salt into another bowl.

Sift a second time directly into the wet ingredients, stir well.


Add warm water and stir again - it will froth up a bit.

Pour into your tins, place in the oven on a middle shelf for about 20 minutes or until the sides of the cake separate from the tin.  Try not to open the oven whilst it cooks  - it can make the cake deflate....

When done, remove and allow to cool for a few minutes then turn out onto a cake rack to cool completely.

Decorate your lower half by spreading with jam and/or fresh fruit, top with cream and place your top layer on.



Ice with cream or leave to eat!  I covered mine in strawberries and dusted with icing sugar, but be creative or go traditional, make it yours!


Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Bec Clarke on September 29, 2010 at 6:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh sounds delicious, I haven't attempted a sponge yet but I may have to give that one a go.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015