Friday, September 10

Season Savvy week 15 - Strawberries


I'm loving seeing strawberries coming down in price presently - and as a family, we're going through about 3-4 punnets a week which will no doubt increase over the coming weeks as they come down even more.  Our strawberry plants have fruit, but it's still green and small so for now, I'll continue to buy at the markets!

When I was pregnant with Laura and Olivia I ate so many strawberries with chopped banana and vanilla icecream it was quite alarming - but hey, I was feeding two babies and it was the middle of summer and I was 8 months pregnant.  I think there are worse things I could have been craving... right?

I love strawberries and personally don't think there's anything I'm not keen in eating them in or with.  My favourite would be on a pavlova or fresh homemade strawberry icecream.

What's your favourite way to eat strawberries?


What is Season Savvy?
I'm all about using seasonal produce. When it's good. When it's plentiful, when it's cheap.

Each week I'm challenging you to use a particular piece of produce that is SEASONAL. Now if you're in a different season to me, don't panic. Maybe you have cooked something before with this ingredient, add it and play along....

Hopefully this way, we can use this as a bit of inspiration/education and show off what you can cook, and save some moulah!



So what do you need to do?
1. Find a recipe you love or a way you love to eat and cook/eat strawberries - it doesn't need to be the main ingredient, but it needs to be in the dish.. and it doesn't need to be fancy either!
2. Make it or find the link
3. Photograph it and/or share the recipe
(it doesn't need to be-step-by-step photos!)
4. Post your link down there with the Linkytool down below
5. Get visited, and visit other people's recipes!


Print this post in friendly format

10 lovely comments:

Jane on September 10, 2010 at 6:23 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

What a coincidence that I'm reading this post with a mouth full of chopped up strawbs. I'm also really excited about them being so cheap at the moment. I'm powering through half a punnet a day, with cereal, yoghurt, smoothies etc. Looking forward to reading some of these recipes!

Belinda on September 10, 2010 at 6:56 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Do you have a jam recipe you can share? I have loads of frozen strawberries in the freezer at the moment!

Liss on September 10, 2010 at 6:58 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I do BB - let me dig it out tonight - I made 3 batches of strawberry Jam last summer, beats me why I didn't blog it!! :P

middleagedcrazywoman on September 10, 2010 at 7:48 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Funny, here they don't last till even the shortcake stage! The kids see them then go crazy - just washed and in a bowl with some sugar.

They don't leave any for me either.

Good thing I love the them!

M

Belinda on September 10, 2010 at 7:56 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks Liss!

middleagedcrazywoman - my kids are still young enough that I can hide them! - not tall enough to see into our upside-down fridge yet :-)Enjoying it while it lasts!

Corrie on September 10, 2010 at 12:21 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yep we love strawberries here, I buy 2 punnets everytime I go to the shops and the kids eat 1 punnet for dessert every night! poor daddy doesn't get any when he gets home :(

katepickle on September 10, 2010 at 3:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

mmm strawberries....

I wonder if it is a twin thing because I also ate buckets of strawberries when pregnant with my girls too.... mind you it was mostly because they were great going in and not too horrendous coming out! LOL

I have a hankering to make a strawberry and rhubarb pie... but the strawberries always disappear before I manage it!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on September 10, 2010 at 6:51 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

hehe there are so many other worse things you could have craved! :P And I do use strawberries a lot don't I! :P

Cat on September 10, 2010 at 9:14 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I just realised I posted the second ice cream recipe, sorry for the double up.

Strawberries are the Bebito's absolute fave but they make his eczema so very bad that we have had to stop buying them all together. It doesn't seem fair for us to eat them when he can't. Poor little poppet.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys on September 13, 2010 at 4:05 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I love all these recipes , have to go buy more strawberries now to test them out.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015