Sunday, August 9

Ricotta hotcakes - *drool*


I love these. I.could.eat.these.every.day. and I wouldn't get sick of them.

I used to eat these at Bills many moons ago - it used to be a Sunday haunt of mine... I got the recipe from his book Sydney Food and I've been making them ever since. It's much easier to make them on a whim as I can grab some milk and make some ricotta myself! (If you are new to this blog you might want to try this ridiculously easy 30 minute ricotta recipe).

The good thing about these - is you can make them ahead of time and freeze - they're a great breakfast, snack, dessert. They are at their nicest when straight off the hotplate though - smear them with jam or honey or if you're lucky enough go and eat them at Bills yourself with Honeycomb butter!

Ingredients
4 eggs, separated
1 1/3 cups ricotta
3/4 cup milk
1 cup flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
50grams butter

Method:
Separate eggs, whites in clean bowl or kitchenaid, yolks in medium mixing bowl
To yolks, add milk and ricotta, combine with fork

Add sifted flour, baking powder and combine
Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks
Add egg whites to rest of mix, 1/2 at a time and combine gently - you need the mix to remain fluffly.

Heat frypan, spray with non-stick spray and add a portion of your butter, melt, turn down your heat to low

Add your mixture a dessertspoon at a time - and limit to three a batch


Turn over after about 1 minute, it doesn't bubble up top like a pancake does, so keep an eye on them, after the first turnover you should get an idea of how long it takes.
Serve with your jam, whatever! You will never make this recipe just once!

Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

Cathie on August 9, 2009 at 3:11 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

ohh Liss, they look great. I like the KA in action!!
I'm going to check out your ricotta recipe as i have been wanting to try to make it for a while, thanks :)

Amanda on August 9, 2009 at 3:48 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

nom nom nom...I've had them with wild bery coulis, too...simply yummy...

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I think half that amount would work too?
Would it be useful to put it in a jar O/N to shake as mornings can be very muddled when people need to get on?
A home-mafe readymix would be perfect.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015