Wednesday, August 12

I can bake a rainbow, bake a rainbow....


I know this in the parents' manual of no-no's but I've gone food colouring mad.

Today with a wet backyard, I decided a better use of energy would be to make a cake rather than let the kids get caked in mud (and do MORE washing tomorrow!).

Ingredients:
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup flour
1 cup white sugar
food colouring

Method:
Preheat oven to 175 degrees celcius

Grease a small springform, round, loaf or heartshaped tin
Beat eggwhites until firm,  add baking powder and vanilla.
(you can't see much, even my little ones are mesmerised by the kitchenaid!)














Put the mixer on low speed and  slowly tip the egg yolks in.














Sift your sugar, then add a tablespoon at a time until all combined


















Lastly sift your flour, and do the same as sugar, remove bowl from mixture and give a final gentle mix to ensure all is combined.














Divide mixture into as many bowls as you would like colours


















Add about 1/2 tsp of liquid colouring into each mixture (personal taste of course!)














Pour into baking tin one by one by dropping into the centre, one after the other, they will spread.
















Bake for about 20-25 mins,  Cool and slice (ice if you wish)
Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on August 12, 2009 at 10:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oooh I saw this on another blog a while back adn thought it looked spectacular. I love that pic of your little ones staring at the KA. I still do that :lol:

Anon on August 12, 2009 at 11:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I made the exact same thing for my daughter's first birthday a few month's ago! I wish I could upload a photo!

Christie - Childhood 101 on August 13, 2009 at 12:06 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That is so pretty, looks too good to eat.

Enjoy
Christie,
http://childhood101.blogspot.com/

Katy on January 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm making this for my Mums birthday on Wednesday! Any ideas what to ice it with?

Liss on January 4, 2010 at 6:54 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I iced using butter icing - basically 125 grams butter and 2 cups icing mixture, plus colouring of course hehe.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015