Thursday, August 27

Irrational fear of ...


the making of my own baklava.  Silly huh?

I love baklava. I mean, I ADORE baklava.  But only good baklava.  There's plenty of crappy baklava out there you know.  I fell in love with baklava when backpacking through Europe some 16 years ago.  Since then it's been pretty hit and miss as I'm very dubious about tasting it.

It might not be as good.
It might be terrible.
In fact it might turn me off baklava forever.

I have, luckily found some magnificent baklava in a little kebab shop not far away from here, so I can buy it pretty much whenever I get a hankering.  It's honey is not too strong and not too sticky, but it is delicate and flavoursome. The pastry is always a little bit crispy and the nuts are crunchy and never taste stale.  I'm salivating typing this!

I've got many baklava recipes.  I just don't trust myself.  I don't want to mess with the magic of brilliant baklava.  Irrational right?  Is there anything you would never dream of making?
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Angela - Upon Request on August 28, 2009 at 2:40 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Years ago, an Armenian student lived next door and made homemade baklava for us. She made it look so easy - but I'm with you... I just don't want to mess it up!

Katy on August 28, 2009 at 8:55 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

See, I wouldn't make it either, for fear of ruining it! There is a beautiful bakery in Mascot (I think it was called Christophers) we used to go to, and sells the most beautiful baklava. We were there all the time on our breaks and would walk there from our Qantas buildings LOL.

I don't like to make red curry. It's just never as good as the shop!! And I LOVE it!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015