Monday, August 17

Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins


You might have eaten these at Muffin Break - I remember when they first opened sheesh about 18 years ago now and the cream cheese muffins were my favourite - strawberry or blueberry I wasn't fussed!

I haven't had one for years and was inspired by some gorgeous strawberries we go on the weekend at Riverside Produce (500grams for $3!) and I had some cream cheese in the fridge so I thought I'd give them a try as we need some baked goods for morning teas this week.

They are light, fluffy and so yummy. They freeze really well, so this recipe will make 24 muffins. Feel free to divide my recipe if you need less.  I freeze them in lots of 2 for hubby and 3 for the little girl in zip-lock bags.  Take them out at breakfast time, they're defrosted by morning tea or even reheat in the microwave...mmmm.. they're nice warm!

Ingredients:
1 tub philadelphia light cream cheese
2/3 cup canola oil
2 1/2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
3 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup buttermilk (if you don't have any, put 1 tb vinegar in bottom of 1 cup measure, and fill to top with regular milk - leave for 5 mins - that's a buttermilk substitute!)

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees c
Cream the cream cheese, oil and sugar

Add eggs whilst mixing, one by one
Add vanilla
Add flour, and beat until no lumps, then add your buttermilk - remove from/mixer
dice your strawberries into small pieces, add to batter and mix with spoon

Fill large muffin size patty pans almost to the top

Bake for 15-20mins
Dust with icing sugar and/or cover cream cheese icing - personally I don't think it needs it, but it would be yummy!

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Kylie G on August 17, 2009 at 6:38 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've been feeling the urge to bake, I might give these a try, they look delicious. I love that you can freeze them too - I'm often put off baking because I don't want too much of a good thing!

Mrs Mac on January 7, 2010 at 2:12 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yummm I'm 'stealing' this recipe too :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015