Monday, August 24

Good, to Forgive; Best, to Forget?


Yesterday I passed a sign on a church that displayed this Browning quote.. and it got me thinking - is forgetting really best?

I don't know whether I'm a good forgiver - probably but I'm not a good forgetter. If someone has hurt me, it's unlikely I'll forget... I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and in my mind give a million excuses why they might have hurt me - 'they weren't thinking' 'they didn't really mean it' 'stupid mistake' kind of thing but if it happens more than once, there's pretty much no turning back. Life's too short. But again, a heartfelt sorry goes a long way.

But what is this really trying to say?
Forgiving is good - because forgiveness also sets you free in many ways - Forgetting is best - best to move on? Best to be open ?

Forgiving can be hard, but I think forgetting is much harder.
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Linda on August 24, 2009 at 12:29 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

It is a very confusing subject for me.

I wonder too what it is saying. I hadn't read the poem before, but it seemed to suggest we can't stop fretting over things done to us perhaps.

Turning the other cheek is good, but there is another scripture that suggest avoiding people. Maybe it is best to not forget and keep out of their way? As I said it is an ongoing thing for me that I don't have an answer too.

PinkPatentMaryJanes on August 25, 2009 at 10:23 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I can't forget either. Surely it's a means of ensuring you'll never let it happen again. Now I know to trust my initial gut instinct, and give those kinds of people a seriously wide berth!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015