Wednesday, March 16

Cooking for cooler weather: Slow baked lamb roast with pasta - make your roast stretch to two family meals!


Don't tell the summer-lovers but I'm quite happy it's autumn.  I'm enjoying the chill in the air in the afternoons and evenings, the new season fruit (the apples are lovely) and vegetables and I've got my oven going most days.  Love love love it.

This recipe is inspired by Anna Gare - she did a 'bloody mary lamb shoulder on rigatoni' which included 750ml of vodka!  (I'm sorry Anna but I like my vodka in a Moscow Mule or a Fruit Tingle thanks!) But what she did I did like was slow cook a whole shoulder of lamb in a tomato base with veges and then flaked the succulent tender lamb back into the sauce, making it rich and flavoursome.

I find a roast for us does one dinner and a few sandwiches but cooking it this way, it stretches to two whole filling meals for all of us.

I also didn't have any butter or cannellini beans on the day but I think they'd be a fantastic addition... so add them half an hour before the end if you like them!

Ingredients:
1.8kg shoulder lamb
1 red onion, diced
2 leeks, sliced
4 carrots, sliced
2 cloves garlic
1 cup white wine
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
800g diced tomatoes, pureed (or 1 bottle passata)
2 bay leaves
1 sprig rosemary
2 large sprigs thyme
2 tb tomato paste

Pasta (I used penne) to serve.


Method:
Preheat oven to 160 degrees c

Heat a flame-proof casserole/cast iron pot on the stove and heat with some oil.  Chop up your veges whilst it heats.. (these are from my garden aren't they beautiful?)


Put your lamb in the pot and brown on all sides.  Add vegetables until they sweat (i.e the leek goes a bit soft)  Add the garlic and herbs and heat for a minute or so.

Add the white wine and tomatoes/passata, Worcestershire and Tabasco.  Simmer for about 5 minutes.  Place a lid or seal tightly with aluminium foil and move to the oven for 3 hours.

Remove lamb from the pot (doesn't it look lovely?)

The lamb will be extra soft and tender.  Prise the meat off the bones using two forks and discard the bones.

Return meat to the pan and add the tomato paste.

Simmer whilst you boil the water and prepare your pasta.  Add your beans at this point too if you wish..

Serve over pasta.  It will be gobbled up in no time!

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Fiona T on March 16, 2011 at 4:06 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This looks soooo yummy. I think I will try it instead of a roast next time....mmmm

nervouscook on April 11, 2011 at 4:36 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I've tried and failed on numerous occasions to slow roast lamb. Today I decided to give your recipe a go ... 1.5 hrs in and I'm SO nervous! I used leg not shoulder, I hope that's ok? Also added a bag of mushrooms. It smells delicious! Will report back shortly.

Liss on April 11, 2011 at 4:39 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@nervouscookOh yes, mushrooms would be SO delicious in this (must note this for next time!) Leg shouldn't matter, there's more meat on a shoulder generally... but it won't compromise the taste - I'm sure you'll be fine - and remember, it's not supposed to look pretty, it's supposed to smell and taste delicious! x

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Thanks for sharing this. It turned out really well, although next time I'll leave it in the oven for more than 3 hrs. I used 6 (small) lamb shanks instead, and added a few sticks of celery.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015