Tuesday, April 5

Easy Peasy - Cookies and cream icecream layer cake


You may remember my little Laura has a boyfriend - Master Z - they had a little farewell last Friday and Master Z gave Laura a little easter egg with a big 'LOVE Z' on it.  She was quite chuffed.   Poor little mite had his tonsils out yesterday in the hope that it might cure his sleep apnoea  - such a scary thing - Laura had apnoea when she was born - but grew out of it at three months - I can't imagine how scary it has been for Z's parents... so I do hope it's the answer to their prayers.

Laura asked me what happens when you have your tonsils out - and I gave her the brief rundown and told her you need to eat plenty of cold things like icecream and jelly whilst your throat is recovering because it's swollen and throbby for days afterwards.   She asked if we could make some icecream for Z which was such a sweet idea - but it's been a really busy week and I thought I'd cheat a little and make something a bit more fun than just icecream.

My Mum used to make this with vanilla or chocolate icecream and jaffa thins when I was a child - but I haven't seen those for years so this recipe uses these chocolate thins - they are imported from NZ by Coles.  They are super thin biscuits with one side covered in chocolate.

Ingredients:
1.5 packets Griffins thins biscuit (any thin chocolate biscuit would suffice)
2 litres cookies and cream icecream

Method
Line a loaf tin with cling film

Line the bottom with biscuits
Spoon about a 1cm thickness of semi melted icecream over the top, then add another layer of biscuits on top.

Continue to do this until you get to the very top of the loaf tin (Or run out, whichever comes first!)

Cover the top with more cling film and put in the REFRIGERATOR (Can you believe I originally wrote oven??!) for at least 3 hours.

Just before serving, remove from tin and take off the cling film and turn onto a tray and slice - serve with an Easter egg - just for easter if you want to serve it that way! (You might have just overdosed on hot cross buns by then...?)

Print this post in friendly format

5 lovely comments:

Trudy on April 5, 2011 at 6:26 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Liss,
Think you might mean freezer,lol!!
Trudy.

Liss on April 5, 2011 at 7:20 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@TrudyHaaaa! I don't even want to think about how it would look after 3 hours in an oven lol! Thanks for the pick up Trudy xx

Liss on April 5, 2011 at 7:20 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@TrudyHaaaa! I don't even want to think about how it would look after 3 hours in an oven lol! Thanks for the pick up Trudy xx

Maryandlil on April 5, 2011 at 2:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yummo! i reckon you could do this same recipe but using mint slice biscuits and choc mint icecream :) just for those mint lovers out there like me! I will give it a go and post to my blog for some lovers to see :) keep updated!

Wendy on April 5, 2011 at 8:31 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Reminds me of a dessert my friend once made for me each time I visited her. Layer gingernut (arnotts are best) in a glass bowl with whipped cream.Finish with the whipped cream and gentle pour over 1/2 glass of orange liquer. Put it in the fridge - yes fridge, not oven or freezerr - until you are ready for dessert. Obviously adults only and soooo yummy. Cheers, Wendy


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015