Saturday, April 30

Our local sushi joint and how to make make-shift kids' chopsticks




I love to make sushi but sometimes on a whim or when I have a craving that can't be cured by at home sushi (i.e. shopping and time constraints) we head to our local sushi joint.  It's been there about a year now and I hope it never leaves (an issue with small local shop community).

It has a good lunch trade as I found out and has a cute little 'self service' fridge at the front - I've used this sometimes when wanting to pick up something enroute home for afternoon tea.  But my favourite is eating in.

The first time we visited the waitress 'made' the frills some chopsticks.  They had tried to use chopsticks a few times up until that point, and gave up in frustration. This cured them and now every time we go somewhere where chopsticks are available I whip them up a set.

You need - chopsticks, serviette and rubber bands - something every japanese joint should have!




1.  First of all, tear off 1/4 of the serviette and fold up to a shape almost the same thin-ness of the chopsticks.











2.  Put the serviette between the chopsticks 






3.   Secure it with the rubber band - try and twist it in between and around the tip if you can.








Voila!
That's the last of our baby cucumber sushi - 6 pieces for $3

Sushi rolls are made on request if you like - I like my tempura prawn sushi without avocado, and with mayo so they make it up for me on the spot.  The prawns are freshly tempura'ed and melty warm inside the sushi - and our girls love teriyaki chicken sushi $4 per roll, chopped up on request.

And we love some spring rolls - these have cabbage, carrots and peas inside. $7 for 8 of them.


What's your favourite local eat-in place or sushi place?

Print this post in friendly format

3 lovely comments:

CamillaS on April 30, 2011 at 10:32 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks really tasty and the chopsticks are clever too!

I wish we had a place like that close to us, yummy prawn sushi!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm hungry now reading that!! Yum!!

Jane on May 2, 2011 at 7:24 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Sushi is SO GOOD. I love how fresh and healthy Japanese food can be. My favourite sushi joint is Tenka in St Ives. Honestly, since discovering it about 6 months ago, I cannot eat that cheap, cold, not freshly made sushi. I've become a sushi snob! xxx


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015