Saturday, April 18

Seasonal Challenge who's with me?


Reading Jamie's post from Garden Amateur yesterday got me thinking..... These days with hydroponic gardening, advanced storage methods, import of fruit and vegetables we are lucky enough to be able to get most fruit and vegetables any time of the year... but has that taken away the true appreciation for the seasons and what it brings? I mean let's face it, not many of us can afford cherries in July, but on majority, we aren't really challenged or held back by what's in season in your own patch so-to-speak.

That's great on one hand, but are we ever appreciating our fruit and veges on an individual basis? Now we're growing our vege garden I've got more of an appreciation about what's in season and I'm going to try and stay true to buying in bulk fruit that is in season, and preserve as much as I can, make myself some jams and cook with it as much as possible.


Fruit in Season in April/May/June:
Apples (until end May)
Persimmons (never tried one, there's a challenge!)
Strawberries (end May)
Raspberries (end June)
Lemons (end June)
Imperial Mandarins (end June)
Grapefruit (end May)
Navel Oranges (end May)

So here's my challenge - I must use these seasonal fruits at least 3 times a week. By the end of each season and depending on availability at farmgate, find some way to preserve in bulk whilst they are at their cheapest.

Anyone want to join me by at least doing some off the list?

Print this post in friendly format

1 lovely comments:

Jaime on April 18, 2009 at 7:57 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Strawberries are in season? i thought they were a summer fruit?

Ok, I'll check out my market garden next week to get my supplies and I'll get back to you.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015