Monday, July 25

Slowcooker Recipe: Massaman Curry


Ever since that challenge between Kumar and that other bloke (he was clearly memorable...!) on Masterchef where they had 10 moves to 'rescue' a massaman curry - I haven't been able to get it out of my head.   I've had it in my mind I would make the paste from scratch (because that's what I do - and I love to) but I've had a real hard time getting my hands on galangal - and I figure if I'm having a hard time, you guys will be too... so I went the pre-bought paste route.  I found a recipe on best recipes and gave it a bit of a frilly tweak here and there.. as I do.

It was so delicious, the frills were literally begging for it the very next night, and with no chili, and being quite sweet, not to mention the softness of the meat, it's very child-friendly.  I'm not joking when I tell you this - you make this once - it will not be the last time!


Ingredients
2 small or 1 large onion, diced
2 large new potatoes, diced
1 kg beef, diced (I used a blade roast and diced it up!)
1/4 cup valcom brand massaman curry paste
1 400g tin light coconut cream
1 cup chicken stock
juice of half a lemon
1 tsp fish sauce
3 tb brown sugar


Method:
Fry some your onion in a little oil until soft, put in your slow cooker

Steam/boil your diced potatoes in the microwave for 10 minutes on high.  Whilst they are cooking put your diced beef in a zip lock bag or airtight container with the flour.   Shake to cover.

Put the beef (and any leftover flour on top of the onion in the slowcooker.

Mix your paste with the coconut cream.   

Pour over the beef.  Then mix the stock, lemon juice, fish sauce and brown sugar in the same jug and pour that over too.

Add the potatoes and then mix it all together.  Put the lid on and let it go for 7 hours on low or 4.5 hours on high.

How good does that look?  You have no idea how good it smells... yet!

Serve on rice - so rich saucy, melty beef....delicious!!!

Print this post in friendly format

8 lovely comments:

Carrie on July 25, 2011 at 8:35 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

How much flour hun? Is it my pregnant brain that is not seeing it on the list??

Carrie on July 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Second question, is it the Valcom Thai Style Massaman Curry Paste??

Liss said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hi Carrie
1 cup of plain flour :)
Valcom is a Thai style paste :)

Maryandlil on July 25, 2011 at 11:33 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

yummadidum yum yum haha!

schwester said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I used to buy galangal from Kiwon Asian Grocer in Dee Why, just near Vinnies and Godfreys. Hope it helps!

Becci on July 27, 2011 at 9:43 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Saving this one for my new Breville Slow Cooker - which came today ... but I wasn't home!!! AAArgh, and I had it all written up on the board for tomorrow night. But no fear, I rang the courier and they're delivering to my workplace tomorrow. Can't wait to serve this one up. Thanks Liss :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Well, I made this last night and it was very popular with hubby and 3 brats. I had it in the slow cooker while I worked and my rump was so nice as tender...and so was the steak ;) It was beautiful!!!
If I was cooking this for adults who liked a bit more spice in their lives, how could I modify the recipe?!

Amy on July 29, 2011 at 7:49 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I made this for our dinner last night (I confess, I adapted it to be cooked on the stove top because I wasn't organized enough to have everything ready in time for the slow cooker but that aside, I kept to the recipe). It was amazing! I'm a big chili wimp so this was perfect for me. All the flavour, none of the heat! And the 3 fussy kiddies who never eat curry polished it off too! I'm so happy you shared this recipe, it will get cooked over and over around here! Thank you!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015