Wednesday, April 8

What's that? It can't be....?


SUN?!

I've seriously gone bananas and just hung out about 5 loads of washing and it's only 10.30! That will be my enormous backlog gone. Hoorah!

Sun also means the kids can play outside. Today with so much to do before my mother-in-law arrives tomorrow I thought playdough might be a good diversion - plus we haven't made any in a while. This also good to make up and mx glitter into - put in small ziplock bags when you're going out to lunch with friends or give away for birthday party favours.

I've tried many playdough recipes, but this one is by far my favourite. It might not seem like it but it's less messy and quick to make, but the quality of the playdough is brilliant. As good as, if not less smelly than commercial playdough. It's got a smooth silky texture, and with the salt and oil ingredients lasts in an airtight container for a good month plus.

Ingredients:
2 cups white flour
1/2 cup salt
4 tablespoons cream of tartar
2 cups water
4 teaspoons vegetable food colouring (I used Queens food colouring - rose)
2 tablespoons oil (I use peanut or vegetable oil)

Method
In a saucepan:
1. Mix flour, salt, and cream of tartar.
2. Add water, food colouring and oil.

3. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 to 5 min.
4. Mixture will look like a globby mess. You will be sure it is not turning out, but it will!

5. When it forms a ball in the center of the saucepan, turn out and knead on lightly floured surface.

6. Store in plastic container (this fits perfectlyinto a no1 mini rectangle) or ziplock bag. Edible, but not tasty!


This is about 1/2 the mixture.

Kids love it!


This is my (very early) birthday cake! Thanks Eloise :)

Even Dougall loved hanging out with the girls!

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

PlanningQueen on April 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Great idea about using the ziplock bags!

Kat on April 8, 2009 at 12:44 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I came across a microwave recipe the other day, i'm definitely going to be giving that one a go :)

Chantilly Bowtique on April 8, 2009 at 1:32 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Awesome recipe! I've never made my own playdough before! I'll be sure to give this one a try.

mummysairsair on April 14, 2011 at 1:42 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

This recipe also works well as a non-cook one by using boiling water and mixing it all together in a bowl. Too easy! :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015