Wednesday, April 28

Slowcooker Recipe: Drunken Chicken


Inspired by the gorgeous Alvin on Masterchef I found myself craving drunken chicken.  Don't panic people, it's not anything about a football mascot on a big night out... it's chicken cooked in chinese wine and originates from Shanghai.

It's a great meal to have on a cold night or when feeling a little under the weather - and I'm feeling a little run-down of late so the garlic and ginger are great for that.   It takes all of 10 minutes to prepare and pleases the crowd in about 3 hours.

Ingredients:
Size 16 chicken (I used a Lilydale 1.6kg chicken)
1 cup white rice
2 thick slices ginger
3 spring onions, sliced
1 star anise, whole
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup chinese rice wine (I picked mine up from a local deli for $2.99 a bottle)
Soy sauce to serve


Method:
Par-cook your rice - I used a microwave rice steamer and put the rice in with 2 cups of water on high for 7 minutes.  Those who boil their rice will need to add their rice to 3 cups of boiling water for 7 minutes.  Drain, and place in the bottom of your slow cooker.

Place the spring onions, garlic, ginger and star anise in the cavity of the chicken, then place the chicken on to top of the rice.   Pour over the stock and the rice wine, put the lid on the slow cooker and  place the setting on high for 3 hours.  Check periodically for moisture.  If you're finding it drying out a little add a little mix of 50/50 chicken stock to rice wine.


Check to see if it is cooked by piercing the thigh and ensuring all juice than runs out is clear.

Remove from slow cooker, slice as desired and serve on remaining rice - pour over with soy sauce.  Serve with vegetables of your choice.


PS:  Head over here today to see a 'day in the life' of our farmgate treks - Masterchef went to our butcher last week and I think might re-visit tonight!  Also our apple picking adventures!
Print this post in friendly format

12 lovely comments:

Barbara on April 28, 2010 at 8:05 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Great to find a good slow cooker recipe.I missed the MC when Alvin did this. I used mine last week, the first time in years, to make a pot roast. It was so good, and so easy, I'm going to use the slow cooker more.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) on April 28, 2010 at 8:06 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oooh I saw this on Masterchef too - looks wonderful :)

Kat on April 28, 2010 at 8:18 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I adore Alvin, he and Marion were our picks from the top 50 to get through, so so happy that they both did.

The drunken chicken looks really yummy, might have to put it on the try list!!!

Nisha on April 28, 2010 at 10:50 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Looks good! Cant wait to try this one out in the slow cooker. Im chrreing for Alvin too. Ive never seen Gary so impressed with a dish!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on April 28, 2010 at 12:04 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks so good! LOL at football mascot reference-I didn't think of that until I read it! Clearly I don't attend enough football games :P

Parenting and Baby on April 28, 2010 at 5:53 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Dish looks absolutely wonderful:) well done!
Will definitely have to give a shot at cooking at some point.

Corrie on April 28, 2010 at 6:03 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

oh yum! I love alvin and I loved this dish of his, was so glad he won!

and yes I saw all the farm pictures and I'm going now..when I get a free weekend!!!! I saw bilpin on someone's blog and told hubby we had to go but seeing all the gorgeous fresh produce makes me want to go!!!! and your girls look gorgeous in all the pictures especially their matching coats! adorable

Corrie;)

Let the Children Play on April 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Ooooh, thank you. I can't wait to try this - I'm a big Alvin fan too :)

Mrs Mac on April 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Mmmmm another recipe I can't wait to make now that the cooler weather is almost here. Thanks for posting it, Liss :)

tasteofbeirut on April 29, 2010 at 12:27 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That recipe is a new one for me and very intriguing; would love to try it at some point~

Kerry on September 19, 2010 at 7:48 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I made this tonight - great Sunday night cold weather comfort food meal - was absolutely fantastic and so very very tasty. I'll definitely be making it again :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

made this ages ago absolutley delicious almost forgot where i found this site and recipe phew! long term kicked in, mini cheesecakes good too!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015