Tuesday, April 14

Times have changed..


I remember when I was 9 years old - life was pretty good - I had friends in my street, the girls accross the road who had the monkey bars, the girls up the road who had a pool, the boys down the road who had cool sporting equipment, and me, well I had a dog.

We were the local 'gang' and my weekends and school holidays were an impatient wait in the morning to wait and go out and 'play'. Rollerskating, barbie playing, play performing, swimming, baseball or perhaps go down to the local park with someone's parents.

These were idyllic days. Those wonder years are gone.

There is no way you would let your child of anything less than 15 go out anywhere without you - we were always warned not to talk to strangers but there are bonafide predators out there ready to take your children away from you - I mean they probably always existed but it seems more prevailent these days?

Even at 15 you'd be worrying yourself silly, drop offs, pick ups. Teaching your children stranger-danger is one thing but when being 'hunted' just how safe can you be?

Reading this just fills me with a sick feeling. No wonder there's 'cotton-wool kids' out there.

Thank goodness this one little girl is safe and not a tragic statistic. Think I'll be hugging my girls just a little bit tighter tonight.
Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Krysbrem on April 15, 2009 at 11:50 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

:( It is sad that everything has change so much that you have to watch your children like a hawk. Sometimes, as they get older I wonder how I will cope when they do go to someone else's place, will they be where they should be are they being watching/looked after like I would???

Katy on April 18, 2009 at 12:03 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Holy cow that is not far from me!!


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015